You may have just received an emailyour Jama Connect License purchase or renewal. How do you determine which license update process is the correct one for your situation? There are three (3) ways to update your license, and the method you will use is directly correlated with your instance type. In this article we will have you define your instance type and then find the coordinating instructions.
Are You in the Cloud, Airgapped or Self-Hosted (Non-Airgap)?
We host your server in our Cloud; therefore, at time of purchase and/or renewal, your license is automatically updated with no further action being needed from you. If you are a user that requires access to this Jama Cloud environment; please contact your designated Jama Admin or your Jama Account Manager for additional information.
You have a Self-Hosted Airgap environment that is not able to utilize internet installation. This means that ANY and ALL changes to a license will require a “new” license to be installed directly into your server, synced and upgraded to your Jama instance.
- You Are Self-Hosted (Non-Airgap)
You host your data on your own server. Most of your license changes just require a simple Sync and Restart of the Jama application.
Now that we have figured out which type (Cloud, Airgapped, Self-Hosted (Non-Airgap) of environment you have, skip to the instructions which coordinates with your situation.
License Renew and Upgrade Instructions
Cloud: No additional customer action is needed; access to your environment is continuous upon purchase and renewal. If you require access, please contact Jama Customer Care or your Jama Account Manager for more info.
Airgapped: When using Airgap, your system is unable to connect to the internet. This means that any changes or renewal of a license require a "new" license to replace the existing license. To upgrade, you will place the new license .rli file (license key) directly into your Jama server.
1. Receive the new .rli license file from Jama through a request or discussion with your account manager.
2. Transfer the .rli onto your organization’s Jama server. We recommend overwriting the existing license file in the same location defined in Settings (cog icon) > Console Settings > Airgap Settings > License File and Save settings. Use the same name so you do not need to update the filename setting.
Note: if changes are needed, you would update the file path in the Update Path field and change the license file name in the License File field.
3. Save settings.
4. Go to the Admin Console, select the Settings (cog icon) > View License.
5. Select Sync License button. Note: for airgap install the “Sync License” action pulls up the new rli license file we just transferred into the server. The license will update on-screen.
6. Go to the Admin Console Dashboard and Stop Jama, then Start Jama.
If you are installing new non-production (test/sandbox) Airgapped instance of Jama, your email confirmation with your new .rli License file will include some very specific information for your installation. This detailed information should be kept handy and reviewed; please keep this information as it will be critical for successful install.
- URL to download the Replicated Orchestration Tool
- Airgap Artifact Portal URL (unique to your license)
- Airgap Artifact Password (unique to your license). DO NOT LOSE this as this is required at time of install
Then, follow these directions from the User Guide: Install Jama Connect (Airgap installation).
Note: it is highly recommended that you engage your Account Manager to engage Professional Services to assist with any fresh installation of Jama.
Self-Hosted (Non-Airgap): Use the Internet Install method -- the license has been updated remotely and you just need to “sync” the license for the updates to actually take effect. Your confirmation email will be the indicator that we have uploaded the license to Replicated from our end. Once you receive this, follow these instructions:
1. Receive the new .rli license file from Jama (through a request/discussion with your account manager).
2. Go to the Admin Console > Settings (cog icon) > View License section.
3. Select the Sync License button.
4. Go to the Admin Console Dashboard and Stop Jama, then Start Jama.
About Allotment/Seat Changes to Your License
If you are in any way making changes to your license which will lessen your allotments in any particular seat type, you need to make sure your license entitlements are compliant with the new license (e.g. making sure that the number of users activated are within the new range in your new license).
NOTE: If the number of users activated are more than the new limit, Jama won’t update and might not start altogether. To be safe we suggest that you do this first:
1. Deactivate any number of active users until you comply with the licensed amount for that role.
2. Activate the license (following whatever method pertains to your situation from above).
3. Then reactive your users to the new entitlement numbers.
See this article: Out of Compliance License Error How To Fix Collaborator Vs Stakeholder, for further information on this topic.