Please increase the Test Run customizability!

Options
Kevin Mote
Kevin Mote Member Posts: 23
edited September 2016 in

The inflexibility of Test Run configuration (with regard to custom fields) is frustrating.

Using templates in the description field (as described in the first answer here) is not a workable solution, because I need to be able to query/export the value of that custom field.

Consequently, my testers are forced to execute all their Test Runs, and then subsequently go back and edit every single one. Yeeesh!

Please provide some functionality that could accomplish this task in some other way!

UPDATE:
My team lead just suggested a workaround that seems to do the trick: Create a filter for the TestRuns that we want to change, then BatchUpdate them from that list. The custom field is available at that point.

Kevin

Washington River Protection Solutions (WRPS)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 13
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We face similiar constraints and usability issues.  Not sure if this is in one your hyperlinks but, but just in case, another is the inability to set a Test Run as a target of a Social Review Setting.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Steve, what do you mean? Like the inability to select Runs from the Test Center and send them to review? (Given that you can create a filter that surfaces test runs and base a review off of that.)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Kevin, I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for bringing this up. 
  • Allan Pendergrast
    Allan Pendergrast Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I would also like this functionality. Specifically, our testers need to record the hardware that is used to execute each test case, which may vary on a case-by-case basis, so the batch update workaround doesn't even work for us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 73
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We would highly welcome the feature that custom fields that have been added to the Test Run item can be filled out during test execution. We are aware of the fact that they can be filled in later via "Edit", but it is way more useful to fill in the information by the time the test is executed (and hence the information is generated) rather than doing it later.

Unfortunaltely the link to the topic dealing with this special request (see original post - first link) is broken in the forum - so I wonder if it is on the roadmap at all?

Cheers,
    Anna

P.S.: The other links mentioned in Kevins Original Post sadly lead to a "page not found" error as well... I hope this is not because the Request was dropped...
    ------------------------------
    Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-20-2016 18:05
    Subject: Please increase the Test Run customizability!

The inflexibility of Test Run configuration (with regard to custom fields) is frustrating.

Using templates in the description field (as described in the first answer here) is not a workable solution, because I need to be able to query/export the value of that custom field.

Consequently, my testers are forced to execute all their Test Runs, and then subsequently go back and edit every single one. Yeeesh!

Please provide some functionality that could accomplish this task in some other way!

UPDATE:
    My team lead just suggested a workaround that seems to do the trick: Create a filter for the TestRuns that we want to change, then BatchUpdate them from that list. The custom field is available at that point.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Anna,

All of the feature requests still exist. It's just that with the community migration, all of the links in old discussion posts are broken. (We manually fixed all the links in articles.) Our Product team still has full visibility to everything that has been submitted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7
    edited February 2018
    Options

hi,

We facing same issues, as the custom fields are not available during the executions the Testers have to fill the information later which is not efficient way of working..

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Any update on this from JAMA?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Product Team Posts: 375
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hello Andrew and everyone:

Appreciate your feedback here! Right now, our Product teams are focused on overall improvement concentrating on our core product, Jama Connect. I can report that the Test Center is listed for "future" enhancement and we are always looking at all of our customer input for opportunity discovery. 

Many people have made this request for custom fields within the Test Runs which can be integrated into the Test Management process. Andrew (and anyone), to keep the discussion going: 

What kind of fields would you like to add?

What kind of information would these fields capture for you?

What are the workarounds you are currently using to make up for this feature?

Looking forward to hearing back,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR
    Original Message:
    Sent: 06-21-2019 12:07

Any update on this from JAMA?

Andrew MacCormack
    Optos
    Dunfermline

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-27-2018 15:13

hi,

We facing same issues, as the custom fields are not available during the executions the Testers have to fill the information later which is not efficient way of working..

Shrikant Yadav
    Abiomed
    Danvers MA

Original Message:
    Sent: 05-25-2017 11:41

Hi Anna,

All of the feature requests still exist. It's just that with the community migration, all of the links in old discussion posts are broken. (We manually fixed all the links in articles.) Our Product team still has full visibility to everything that has been submitted.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

Original Message:
    Sent: 05-24-2017 07:54

We would highly welcome the feature that custom fields that have been added to the Test Run item can be filled out during test execution. We are aware of the fact that they can be filled in later via "Edit", but it is way more useful to fill in the information by the time the test is executed (and hence the information is generated) rather than doing it later.

Unfortunaltely the link to the topic dealing with this special request (see original post - first link) is broken in the forum - so I wonder if it is on the roadmap at all?

Cheers,
    Anna

P.S.: The other links mentioned in Kevins Original Post sadly lead to a "page not found" error as well... I hope this is not because the Request was dropped...
    Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG

Original Message:

UPDATE:

• Lien Bäcker
    Lien Bäcker Member, Data Exchange, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 84
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi,
    related to increasing the customizability of Test Run, here are Input from our use cases

1. Admin shall be able to select, which data fields from Test cases shall be visible in Test Run under Test Execution.

To increase the transparency, we write in a Test Case Test Methode under Description field and acceptance critera under Text 1 field.

- What kind of fields would you like to add?
    We would like to have not just the Content of Description field from Test Case but also of other fields such as Text 1 field from Test Case being visible in Test Run by Test Execution.

- What kind of information would these fields capture for you?
    The Tester could see not just the Test Methode but also the extra important Information, for us here - acceptance critera.

- What are the workarounds you are currently using to make up for this Feature?
    Currently, by Test Execution, tester muss navigate between different Tabs to find the Information,
    In some Projects, People are combining Test Methode and acceptance critera and putting in Description. But with that we descrease the transparency.

2. Having more fields besides Actual Result in Test Run for Tester to document more Information during test execution.
    - What kind of fields would you like to add?
    Text field
    - What kind of information would these fields capture for you?
    Tester runs the test on different test samples. Our Test samples have unique id.
    It would be great, if we could have a text field, on which tester documents which test samples he has used for the current executed test run.
    The Text field could be set to "required" so that we could enforce all testers should enter this Information during test execution.
    For reporting, this field could be sortable and searchable.
    - What are the workarounds you are currently using to make up for this Feature?
    Right now, our testers write the test sample ids in Actual result together with other Information, which it is much very hard to filter out the Information which test samples were testet.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2019
    Options

Text or rich-text fields, although I could see that picklists could also be useful

If we do system testing on specific devices, we want to record more than just the version under test, we often have 4 or 5 software versions we wish to record. I realise that some will use the test cycle to record that, but the nature of our resource management and availability is that co-ordinating test cycles around that would be very difficult.

Additionally, links to Jira tickets would be good to add at test-run-time

We've generally been cramming everything in to the "Actual Results" field as the only run-based free text field, and then parsing it in scripts using the API
  • Jeffrey Tsang
    Jeffrey Tsang Member, Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 11
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have similar requests to others and more, which would make usability of Jama with test cases much better

1. Generically any custom field that I add to test run item I want to be able to edit during the test run.

2.  Rich Text fields imported from the test case available in the test run again as an editable field during the test run.

3. Rich Text available in the Results column of the Steps

4. Additional custom fields in Test Cycle Item and ability to add Rich text templates.

5. Would like to remove the "notes" column associated with Steps in test cases.

1. General capture of detailed information not able to be captured sufficiently in steps and Actual results
      eg- equipment used, configuration, deviations

2. more specific to 1.  but easier to use given templates are pre-defined specific for the test case. in particular we would use:
    predefined table for testing of several samples and capturing multiple measurements per sample that would otherwise take 10's or 100's of lines to perform in repetitive steps.
    Pre-defining equipment and in test run capturing serial number/calibration details

3.  Symbols, better formatting, small tables, pictures.

4. Test report details for export.  for us 1 cycle = 1 test report

1. Test Runs have custom fields added to the item, execution flow:
    a) Execute test runs by editing test runs (not starting test run) - custom fields are available when editing
    b) go back and "run" the test run to add in the results 

2. as above, but copy and paste from a field in test cases - painful

3. use the rich text fields eg actual results in 1 and 2 instead.

4. copy and paste rich text template/details into description field (no access to adding a template into this field)
    Jeffrey
  • Jeffrey Tsang
    Jeffrey Tsang Member, Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 11
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Additional features in particular 2 could potentially make life easier.:

1. Field change: in result column of test runs, would be great if you could paste images for the result of that test step What it captures: Specific detail for the test step. Current work around: Add it into the actual results section and reference the particular image from in the test step.

2.Field: An ability to perform the same test steps multiple times recording status and result for each.  Overall Pass/Fail based on all the results. what it captures: Test results from multiple test samples, and should allow for exporting into a table for each test sample.  provides a consistent form of data capture and traceability back to the test step Current work around: manually creating tables each time in "actual results" rich text field. - Information could not be captured as per the steps and/or could be formatted in a different manner by each tester. which is not great for consistency and readability
    Jeffrey
  • Stephen Czerniej
    Stephen Czerniej Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hello there,

I basically agree with all of the requests stated by others already (circa August 2019) and want to push more support for this feature update. We currently want to match our processes and naming conventions and the inflexibility in the Test Execution is not allowing us to get buy in to transfer fully to Jama in our V&V.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hi team

To assist with voter counts, for the sake of our production team, I'm adding these two votes from this other thread:
    Test Run Execution - Editing Fields View Control
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 79
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hi, I see 3 different requests here:
    • to display (read only) Test Case fields in Test Run execution window.
      • This is helpful to get Test Cases information that is not in the Steps table. That can be the global test setup in the Description field or any custom fields. For that I support Lien's request: "Admin shall be able to select which data fields from Test cases shall be visible in Test Run under Test Execution."
    • to capture some Test Run global information (not specific to Steps)
      • Those should be editable custom fields during Test Run execution. Those could capture: the test equipment description, the test sample lable, ...
      • But since we have several flows in the company, it's problematic that the "Test Run" item is a shared item. Suggestion: Allow the Admin to create multiple custom items declared as "Test Run" items for specific "Test Case" items. Fields of those shall be editable during Test Run execution.
    • to capture more Steps specific information
    Thanks
  • Lawrence Anvari
    Lawrence Anvari Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hello,

I'd like to jump on this bandwagon. If (Test Run) steps could be customized like any other item type this would open up other opportunities that haven't been mentioned. 

For example, if we could customize the Use Case item type and add and customize the "steps" sub-item, we could then document use cases as they were originally conceived with "system interaction" steps. Those use case items can then be copied and converted to Test Cases for the initial test cases.  

I can't overstate the value of the ability to have a customizable "steps" field that could be reused in item types other than Test Cases/Runs.

Thanks

Lawrence Anvari
    Business Analyst
    Department of Health
    Olympia WA
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-12-2020 14:00

Hi team

To assist with voter counts, for the sake of our production team, I'm adding these two votes from this other thread:
    Test Run Execution - Editing Fields View Control

Godiva Hunt

Original Message:

UPDATE:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] System and Business Analyst Manager Posts: 9
    edited April 2020
    Options
    We are also very interested in this new functionality, I hope we can see this developed soon. We can certainly use new attributes and customizations for test runs.
  • Amina Ahmad
    Amina Ahmad Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2020
    Options
    This is a great idea. This would improve my teams use of Jama and Test Management. Thank you for spear heading it. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.

Amina (WA State)
    Amina
  • Andrew MacCormack
    Andrew MacCormack Member, Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 55
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I would suggest that folks who want to see improvements in Test Run capability go here arnd vote: https://community.jamasoftware.com/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=a04c8083-57fc-4347-80d1-5cd1ea4b4c3f#ItemCommentPanel
    Andrew MacCormack

LumiraDX