Linking Requirements and Test Cases

Randy Dahlgren
edited July 2016 in
We use the Review Center to review both Requirements and Test Cases. When we are reviewing Test Cases we would like to display the related requirement in the test case. Specifically the description and another custom field called Acceptance Test Criteria. 

The problem we have is currently that the reviewer sees the test case but without the context of the requirement it can be meaningless. We have found a way to embed a link to a requirement but it is not adequate when a test case covers multiple requirements.

Any ideas on how we can display a field from one item type (ie the description field of a requirement) in a second linked item type (ie a test case)?
Randy - Delta Controls

Comments

• Bob Dilly
    edited June 2016
    Hi Randy-

It seems like you'll still have an issue with those cases that relate to multiple requirements.  It sounds like you more or less want to replicate the idea behind the Relationships tab for a Test Case, but you want this data in the Test Case itself?  I'm guessing you'd want it to be dynamic in the sense that as relationships change the Test Case reflects the change.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Bob, I think you identified the part that makes this not inherently possible—that no fields are dynamic. Realistically all that can be done is a custom field in Test Cases that users manually fill in with related requirements (or vice versa), but that requires a lot of manual work and is only accurate if relationships aren't changed.

I'd be curious to hear how others work with this need—Randy, you're definitely not the only one who wants to see related items show up in Reviews.
  • Randy Dahlgren
    edited March 2015
    Just to be clear it is not just reviews. It would be valuable for others to see and know everything that is related to an item. Whether it is creating, reviewing or executing.

But having said that, it wouldn't take much to blow things up so much that we would then suffer from information overload. We already have relationships, we just need a way to visualize them more effectively.
    Randy - Delta Controls
  • Bob Dilly
    edited April 2016
    Krista, Randy-

Actually, this caught my attention because we've ... ahem ... done some kinda crazy stuff creating links to other items in Jama in rich text fields.  But all of that has been pretty static.  Since I'm deep into traceability at the moment, making the relationships more useful and accessible is on my mind big time.

I can picture a way to use a traceability export to generate these links, and with a decent amount of Excel "hand-waving" (as in magic ... LOL) splice this back into a round-trip of test cases.  We've not done exactly that, but some similar stuff.  All that is decidedly static, unfortunately, and therefore unlikely to be suitable.

Don't think I have anything practical to offer...
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Randy, would you mind if I changed this conversation type to an "Idea"? It'll still be visible for comment if anyone has some workarounds to offer, but I think we've hit a wall in terms of what Jama is capable of now.
  • Jennifer Leitch
    edited March 2016
    We run into this as well at Jackson - we actually have specific groups that perform a peer review of the requirements utilizing the Review Center. We are launching a peer group for test cases, but it's difficult to utilize the Review Center to review test cases without the related requirement information. Instead of using review center for the entire review, we have to grant access to all projects for the peer group so they may review the requirements and the test cases together.

No suggestions on a solution from this side however :) We do agree that it's something that would be very, very nice to have!

Thanks!
  • Randy Dahlgren
    edited March 2015
    Sure, go ahead and change it to an idea. What plans does Jama have to implement functionality like this?
    Randy - Delta Controls
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited September 2015
    Hi Bob,

your proposal looks like a workaorund I had in mind some weeks ago. I hated the necessary manual steps such an approach creates.

How have you done that? Have you been able to automate that?

regards
    Harald
  • Bob Dilly
    edited April 2016
    Hi Harald-

I've not created links for this purpose, but I have elsewhere.   Thus far, this activity has been infrequent enough that automation isn't justified.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    @Randy I just heard back from my Product team regarding your question "What plans does Jama have to implement functionality like this?" The answer is that we are working on it, one step at a time. We'll soon introduce a new Single Item view, and the data currently in widgets (attachments, tags) will be turned into actual item fields. Relationships will follow, but there's more work involved so I can't speak to the timeline. After that point it would make its way to the Review Center, but again, I can't speak to the timeline. But it is something we're working on, piece by piece.
  • Randy Dahlgren
    edited August 2015
    Thanks! At least we are moving in the right direction. :)
    Randy - Delta Controls
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited September 2015
    Hi Randy,

I created a velocity context sensitive template for getting the traces into a roundtrip excel.

Look here:
    https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/how-to-get-relationsship-into-excel-and-import-them-b...

regards
    Harald
  • Randy Dahlgren
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Harald, we will try this out.

Cheers!
    Randy
    Randy - Delta Controls
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited June 2016
    Hi,
    Any update / schedule for this idea?

Thank you
    Vlada
    Vlada
  • Randy Dahlgren
    edited June 2016
    I have heard version 8.3 may have this functionality! :)
    Randy - Delta Controls
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Vlada, I don't remember if you are going to install 8.x on the Express or Standard channel, but 8.3 (Express) has relationships in Review Center. We should have this available in the Standard channel soon.
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Indeed it does!
  • Randy Dahlgren
    edited June 2016
    It actually works in 8.2! Thanks team JAMA! :)
    Randy - Delta Controls
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited June 2016
    Thank you Kristina.
    I'm checking on Jama Cloud but I cannot find the functionality. There is not relationship within the review. Please can you point me to the right place? Or is it necessary to do some change in the configuration?

Thank you
    Vlada

imageimage
    Vlada
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Vlada, did you initiate the review, or did someone else? You have to select this option when the review is first started, or when you publish a new revision.