Release and location fields will not appear in the embedded filters.

Praveen Paluri
edited July 2016 in

Release and location fields will not appear in the embedded filters. It would be great if these are also provided. This makes users to filter better based on these fields as well.

Suppose that we have two item types Use case and Test Case. User may related these two item types. The Use case does not have the release but the Test case has the release field. Then we cannot get all the use cases which are related to test cases in a release right?

This is the issue we are facing now.
But in general when we are selecting an item type in sub filter, and that item types has release related field, then the drop down in the sub filter should show the release right? But this is not the case in current JAMA 2014.1.

It would be great if we get this feature.

Thanks and regards,

Praveen Paluri

Comments

• Preston Mitchell
    edited March 2016
    I've got a good workaround for you wrt the release field.  In the embedded filter choose "keyword" and then type release: <your release name>  

This will work with any normal field (unfortunately not with location...I agree this would be awesome).

If the release name has spaces be sure to include quotes e.g. release: "Release 1.0"
    Preston
    Jama Software
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2020
    Additionally, there is an article posted in the community that explains a bit more about why this functionality works as it does. Interesting, Praveen, that you bring this up now...I was recently talking to a Product Manager about this and were were trying to determine the use cases behind needing this feature.
  • Praveen Paluri
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the quick and effective work around.

- Praveen Paluri

• Mike Donlon
    edited July 2016
    Unfortunately, the same workaround does not seem to work for the location, from what I can tell.
    This is my signature; I hope you like it.
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    You're right, Michael. The workaround will work only for Release. As far as needing location could you describe why it's necessary to be embedded rather than as a condition? (Like I mentioned in a post above, I was talking with someone on our Product team who was curious about the uses cases for expanding options in embedded fields.)
  • Ian Cleary
    edited July 2016
    Upstream relationships to a location would be a use case of embedded filter.  I think....I'm looking to create a bar chart with the number of upstream relationships from Locations B, C, D, etc. upstream to Location A.
    Ian
    ViaSat, Inc.
  • Kristina King
    edited July 2016
    How do you use location for relationships, generally speaking? Components are the only container that can use the Relationship widget.
  • Adding my voice for this feature request. We'd like to be able filter based upon upstream relationships. We can do by using an embedded filter and keyword release; but that requires setting the release. We'd like to filter based upon location of the upstream relationship. That way we can just drag around the item and filters dynamically update. Using relationships also allows us to have the downstream item to have multiple relationship (what customer contract requirement ever fit nicely into one release?). Tags could probably do this as well, but that doesn't allow for the drag and drop and auto filter updates.
  • Hi,

I am adding my voice for this feature request.

Our use case it the following:

We have project that contains all validation artefacts for our ALM tools. These contain (amont others) buiseness requirements, configuration settings and tests. Each of the tool is handled within a separate component in that project.
    All tools share common requirements, e.g. from 21 CFR Part 11. There is e.g. a relation between the requirements from 21 CFR Part 11 and configuration settings or features, which satisfy one or the other requirement.

In the validation phase I want to add a filter to my dashboard containing all requirements, that are not being satisfied by any setting or feature in a specific component (i.e. the component of the tool I am currently validating). This is currently not possible without working around this with tags or other meta-information that would not be necessary if embedded filters were able to filter on the Location of the downstream items.

Anna
  • This is my number-one enhancement ask too. As I've ranted on about before, the way that I think embedded filters should work is that a previously-saved "top-level" filter should be able to be embedded in the new filter one is creating. (And that this "nesting" should extend to several levels.) So that's the ideal but a good improvement to the current situation would be to have "Location" as one of the matching criteria available in the (existing) embedded filter. An example of a Use Case for me is in creating Test Plans: "Show me the Test Cases that have upstream relationships to the Product Requirements located here."
  • After a frustrating day trying to clean out some Jama issues (someone linked to the wrong project) this would have been another awesome feature. All I would have needed is a filter to items linking to the wrong project - done!
    Without this feature it is much more tedious to find out what is linked to the wrong project. And I am not even sure whether we could have avoided this problem with permissions to users.
  • Debra Shannon
    edited November 2018
    Please add me to the list of people who need this.  In our case, we want to filter on Test Cases that link up to Requirements in a particular Item Set.
  • Geoffrey Clemm
    edited July 2022
    I agree that allowing a Location clause in an embedded filter would be valuable.
    In particular, since cross project relationships are supported, it makes sense for an embedded filter to be Location based, since there are important use cases where you want to know "what items have a (possibly cross-project) relationship to an item at (or under) a specified location".

Release and location fields will not appear in the embedded filters. It would be great if these are also provided. This makes users to filter better based on these fields as well.

Suppose that we have two item types Use case and Test Case. User may related these two item types. The Use case does not have the release but the Test case has the release field. Then we cannot get all the use cases which are related to test cases in a release right?

But in general when we are selecting an item type in sub filter, and that item types has release related field, then the drop down in the sub filter should show the release right? But this is not the case in current JAMA 2014.1.

Thanks and regards,

Praveen Paluri

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
  • Jan Kastning
    edited February 2022
    Hi Geoffrey,
    if you mean by that, the possibillity of filtering on the location in an embedded filter as currently possible on the filter top level - yes.
    If by "container" you mean a component - IMO no, at least this should be possibly on folders, even better on any item.

I want to point out Ian Webbs proposal of nested filters. This would help with a lot of issues with filtering and especially the location
  • Geoffrey Clemm
    edited July 2022
    I am editing my original post to just say "I agree with Jan and other posters requesting this enhancement".

Thanks and regards,

Praveen Paluri

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
  • Lien Bäcker
    edited June 2022
    Hi Geoffrey,

the discussed request here is similar to the entries in the product ideas - https://community.jamasoftware.com/product-ideas-suggest/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=f05e078b-6a7c-41b4-ba7c-f1618edfb67f

Release and Location criteria are currently only available at the first level of filtering.
    We would like to have the same criteria (location and release) for an Embedded Filter.
    When the user selects Location in  an embedded filter, Jama Connect should provide the Option to select any location  with "Select Location" just as if Location was selected at the first level filter like today. The Location criterion in an embedded filter should not be limited to a type of container.
  • Jan Kastning
    edited June 2022
    Hi Lien,
    to be honest - I don't see how this feature is added in the near future. Acc. to the idea you referred to, this is on the long-time roadmap but there hasn't been a response for over 1.5 years even though this was planned to be discussed internally. And the idea links to even older requests which have not been realized.

At least for the release, Preston pointed out the workaround (release: <your release name>).

@Geoffrey ClemmI think the only real long-term solution for all the filter issues are nested filters, as requested multiple times before by the community.
    But your proposal would solve the issue for containers - yes.
    Maybe the easier solution would be to make the item ID filter attribute to work with container IDs as well.

BR,
    Jan

Thanks and regards,

Praveen Paluri