Include Test Case tab info in Word report of Test Runs

Jesse Vander Heyden
edited July 2016 in
I want to be able to create a custom Word report of Test Runs which contains the information shown in the Test Case tab (Version being the important bit that I can't seem to get to currently).  I'm looking at the Word Template Reference Guide, and there don't seem to be any field codes related to the Test Case tab of a Test Run item.

Comments

• Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the idea, Jesse. Can you explain a little bit more about the need to include a version in your report?
  • Jesse Vander Heyden
    edited June 2016
    Sure, at our organization, we create a Test Plan document, have it reviewed, approved, and released in a separate doc control system before beginning to execute the tests it contains.  At the end of test execution, the Test Results must also be approved and released in our doc control system as well.  The tests in each must match, or at least, the changes must be clear.  If we were executing tests the old way, on paper, we would record test results on a printed copy of that approved version of Test Plan.  It would be clear that we were executing the same version of tests that were reviewed and approved.  There is now concern about losing that link when moving to electronic results capture within Jama.

Executing tests electronically within Jama means you have to create a separate export/document for your Test Results once you're done testing.  This document is generated from Test Run items, rather than the Test Case items that the Test Plan document is generated from.  The link between the two is in the Test Case tab of the Test Run items.  If that information can't be exported to the document, then correlation between the two documents becomes much less clear.

Our documents must be able to stand on their own outside of the Jama tool.  Without some way to show the version of each test case in the Test Plan vs. the version of each test case executed in the Test Results, the only way for an auditor to ensure a match is to compare every step of every test case.
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Ok, thank you, Jesse. That is an excruciating level of detail—I don't envy you having to make all those comparisons. Do you mind me asking, are you in a regulated industry that requires this, or is it your company process to have this degree of traceability?
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited September 2015
    The testruns in jama are like a document. They show the testcase as a snapshot at the creation of the testrun, in that way the testrun is executed by the tester later, at this time the test case itself may already be changed.
  • Stephen Schweitzer
    edited May 2015
    In addition to the version in the Test Case tab of the Test run items. I have a specific application where the linked requirements (also in the Test Case Tab) to the test case would like to be reported as well. 
  • Jesse Vander Heyden
    edited January 2016
    Stephen, if you have explicitly created relationships between your Test Runs and Requirements, it looks like mail merge fields are available to report them:
    Upstream Relationships:
    «TableStart:UPSTREAMRELATIONSHIPS»
    «name» («project») «relationshipType» Is Suspect: «suspect» Status: «traceStatus». Notes: «traceDescription»
    «TableEnd:UPSTREAMRELATIONSHIPS»

Relationships: «TableStart:RELATIONSHIPS»
    «name» («project») «relationshipType» Is Suspect: «suspect» Status: «traceStatus». Notes: «traceDescription»
    «TableEnd:RELATIONSHIPS»