Department Dashboard With View of Multiple Projects

Options
Ghundi Gundersen
Ghundi Gundersen Member Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in

I work in a large organization where we have multiple Portfolios or Departments that manage the implementation of IT solutions across the organization. Each portfolio manages many projects, and they may use many of the same technologies in their managed solution sets. I would like to provide a dashboard to the Portfolio/Department Directors that shows an aggregate status of all of the projects within the portfolio.

Right now, I believe the only way to do that is to view each project individually. There is no way to view the aggregate status of all the projects within a portfolio, department or division.

Requirements:

1. The dashboard would include complete requirements at all levels (i.e. Enterprise Analysis, Business Objectives, Business Reqs, Functional Reqs)
    1. Ability to filter by item type
    2. Ability to filter by project
      1. Ability to filter by release
    3. Displays requirement count (for each level/set)
  1. Displays requirements from multiple projects
    1. Grouped by project
    2. Ability to filter by status
    3. Uses same list functionality that now exists (i.e. column select/deselect)
    4. Ability to drill down into one project to review the requirements of that project alone
  1. Displays a Release roadmap for an entire portfolio
    1. Lists requirements by project and by release
  1. Exportable to MS Word & Excel

This dashboard view is valuable because it:

1. Provides immediate and clear progress updates of all projects within the portfolio,
  2. Allows the key stakeholders (those funding the projects) to asses and prioritize project funding,
  3. Helps to answer the following questions:
    1. In which project does work need to happen?
    2. What's the aggregate prioritization of the projects within my portfolio?
    3. Do I have the resources to do the work?
    4. What needs to happen next? 
I would love to get community feedback and find out if anyone else has this need.  

Comments

• Shawnna Williams
    Shawnna Williams Jama Staff Posts: 17
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi Troy - 
    Currently, your best option to get some or all of the requirements you have listed would be to create a custom BIRT report that lets you pull data in from multiple projects. Sounds like you have quite a few parameters you would like to apply to get your dashboard, but I would be willing to bet most of this could be done in a report.

I know it would be more effective seeing a screen within Jama, but the lead time for a report is much shorter than for new functionality.

Shawnna Williams
  • Eileen Cromie
    Eileen Cromie Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Troy - we have a need for this also in my organization.  We are working on a BIRT report to provide approval status for all approvers on multiple projects within a folder of projects.  We haven't quite gotten it working yet, but we are hoping to do so very soon. 
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Harald Hotz-Behofsits Member Posts: 159
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can create a department project as a container for a dashboard. Then create filters with the scope all projects, and the criteria you need.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Once again, Harald with an ingenious workaround!
  • Ghundi Gundersen
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eileen, I'd be interested to hear how it works for you. Thanks for the update. 
  • Ghundi Gundersen
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That was our default work-around. Great minds think alike. =)
  • Benjamin Redington
    Benjamin Redington Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have a pie chart on each project home screen showing test case status for runs in the current plan.  The challenge is there are currently 13 projects that are part of a release target.  The desire is to provide an aggregation of this content into a single pie chart, and it looks like Harald and Troy have a solution, how are they doing this?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That workaround is to do the following:
    1. Create a project specifically for use of its dashboard—you aren't using the project for items.
    2. Create a cross-project filter (The scope being All projects rather than Current Project or a specified project)

3. Add said filter to the dashboard in your new project.
  • Benjamin Redington
    Benjamin Redington Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I need the roll-up status of test cases with runs in the active plans in several different projects.  I think this requires I use an embedded filter, and that only allows selection of plans in the local project (even when the filter itself is "All Projects").
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, there is no way to choose a plan otherwise. I was hoping your test cases might have something else identifiable, like a common naming convention or something, so that you could layer conditions...
  • Tom Green
    Tom Green Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Following Harold and Kristina's line of thinking:

How would one create populate data into pie charts on the Dashboard Project Overview, aka Portfolio project?  Each pie chart is to contain information from one project only.  See example below.

Kristina's instructions make sense up to where you create rules for the filter - but how can we configure the rules to grab data from a specific project?

Tom Green
    Thermo Fisher Scientific
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey Tom,

One of our solutions architects recorded a video explaining the process. I don't remember how in-depth it is, though. So you're right—you can't dictate specific projects unless you are in that project (so that's one way to do it—try creating each filter within that project itself. YMMV; I didn't try this). You could set the scope to All Projects and use an item ID as a condition, e.g. CP-REQ-* for the requirements in the Coverage Plus project.
  • Tom Green
    Tom Green Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As always, thanks for the quick reply.
    1. Could you remind me how to get to the Overview Dashboard referenced in the video?  It looks like exactly what I'm seeking.
    2. The approach to create a Project filter in each project didn't solve the need due to inability for the Portfolio project to access the other projects' Project filters.
    3. The approach to create an All Projects filter in the Portfolio project that filters on item ID is returning items from specific projects (ex. ID contains word "JAMA-*").  This works.  It would still be nice to filter further into the location/release of the items being returned (especially when a project has multiple components with the same item type).
    Tom Green
    Thermo Fisher Scientific
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey Tom,

1. Sonja created a project titled Overview specifically to create the dashboard. She then added Rich Text & Filter Results widgets for each project/filter.
    2. Sorry for sending you down the wrong rabbit hole—that makes sense given permissions.
    3. I'm glad to hear that works, but I agree with you—it certainly could be easier. I don't think we have anything planned with dashboards right now, but I'm hoping some of the work our UX team is doing for categorizing and finding items helps in this regard...but that's a ways out, yet.