Test Case attachment doesn't appear in Test Run

George Edwards
George Edwards SAFe Release Train Engineer, BioContinuum Process Automation & Delivery
edited July 2016 in
We have a project team that provides additional test data in files attached to the test cases. When the test runs are executed, the testers need access to these files.

I understand that files can be added to the Test CaseDescription (RTF) field (although that wasn't working quite as expected for a while), however it would be desirable if anything attached to the Test CaseAttachments field would display in the Test RunAttachments field. The reasoning being that the TCAttachments field is a simple and recognizable interface to point test writers to.

Does this idea makes sense to other people? If so, please give this a "Like." ;-)

Comments

• Bob Dilly
    edited June 2016
    Hi George-

I think about Test Case versus Test Run attachments as rather different things, though in your usage that may not be the case.  To me, they represent inputs and outputs respectively.

In other words, the Test Case attachments are inputs to the scenario, and generally will be the same from test run to test run.  If you do generate any artifacts, such as logs, screen shots and other results, these are outputs that are unique to each test run.  Putting in the same bucket seems potentially confusing.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I had a practice that the first step in each scenario was for prerequisites.  With the RTF capability in steps, I can visualize a list in that first step...

Download the following files to a working folder:      (bogus links here)
    1. data_1
    2. data_2
    3. data_3
    Which would point to the Test Case attachments, or a source code control system, or whatever...  Then it's just another step in the procedure and I think it flows reasonably for the tester.  The test writer of course, might have to work just a little harder.

Another reason I like this is from a UI perspective, the tester just needs to work through the run dialog from top to bottom.  If such a field were to be added, I'd rather see it near the top.

Just my $0.02...
    Bob

Ref: http://help.jamasoftware.com/index.html?link_to_other_contour_pages.htm
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    George and Bob—thanks for the conversation regarding this topic. I think Bob's take on it aligns with the original design of the feature, but I can understand how that isn't ideal for all workflows.
  • I have 2 custom fields (Estimated Time and Priority) that I have created in my test cases. When I create a test plan this information does not get pulled in from the test case. It would be very useful to be able to provide the time estimates and priorities in the test cases that we can later pull into test plans and test runs. Right now these fields appear blank whenever I create the test plan/test run so we have to manually enter the info. Any ideas on how this could work more efficiently?

Test Case:

Test Plan:

Randy - Delta Controls
  • hi,
    we have custom fields in our test case item type.
    it would be very helpful if the content of those custom fields will be inherited by the test run.
    br,
    bernhard
  • In our company we have a custom field in Test Cases called "Preconditions".
    The tester must be able to see the preconditions in the test run window to ensure that the test environment is setup correctly, otherwise the whole test case may fail. In other words, if a test case's precondition cannot be fulfilled, this is grounds to mark the test case as "Blocked".

Nevertheless, like those who have already posted in this thread, the solution would be that Jama allows the importing of custom fields when creating test runs from test cases.

Best regards,
  • Stuart Gros-Dubois
    edited November 2018
    Hi,

have there been any discussions within Jama to implement this?

Best regards,