Need ability to move items from one project to another or merge 2 or more projects into one

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in
I want to move certain items out of a Project to another or maybe even decide to merge 2 or more project items into one project. Does Jama allow it and How?
If not, this is a much needed feature for any project planning, without which I find it very tedious trying to create a new project again for those specific items or duplicate a project from another and then again delete what I do not need from the duplicate project.

Version: 2015.1
Build date: 2014/05/16 11:36

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Moses,
    Great question. Let me try to unpack it to help us determine best options.
    1. Does Jama allow moving certain items out of a project to another? If so, how?
     2. Maybe even merge 2 or more project items into one? If so, how?
    It sounds like you are currently creating a new project and items from scratch or duplicating an existing project and deleting what isn't needed.

1. There isn't a specific method to move items out of a project into another. In terms of best strategies to accomplish this, I think it depends on the data you need to move. A) If it's items, relationships, and perhaps even related items, I would suggest the Reuse function, because you can specify what information you want transferred to the other project. As long as you do not check the "Sync Item" box, you will be creating a separate discrete item in the destination of your choice (just choose manual Destination). You can then delete the original item from the source project. This is preferred because you can "move" items, folders, or components this way. We recently recorded a Q&A session about Reuse that may be helpful.
    B) However, if it's a matter of picking and choosing what items you want to move, you're probably better off building a filter to view all the items you want to move, then exporting them to Excel. Then import them into the Destination project. The upside is that you can move only what you want rather than whole containers, but the negative is none of the relationships will be moved over—you'd have to manually build them or use the Import Relationship Plugin.

2. I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish by merging 2 project items into one project. If it's a matter of consolidation items from two different projects into one, then I'd recommend A or B above, as the source of the items doesn't really matter.

If neither of those will work for you in these scenarios, we can change this post to an Idea so that it's considered a feature request. If this is the case, it would be good if you could provide insight why the proposed A or B methods above won't help you accomplish what you need. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The case I am trying to get at here is as follows;
    In an on going project, half way through it may get decided that certain items or a major portion of items needs to be tracked separately as a different project. In which case I do not want to duplicate a project or export and reimport data. But, just move the items or drag drop the items into the new project with a single operation of 'Move'

But, I am thinking Jama does not support it or restricts it. Possible reason being, the limitation that every item in Jama is uniquely identifiable, because the project key is appended to the item ID.

If my request to move an item from one project to another needs to be supported, then Jama needs to be able to re-map the Item ID by changing the ID of every item to have the new project key replaced in the ID sequence.

If the above is true, then, this sure is an Idea which I would like Jama Support to take forward.
    Because move operation would be less tedious and fewer steps involved then the other approaches which you have suggested.

Plus, I may want to know the history on the item, asI am not starting from scratch, it is just movement of items from one place to another, so nothing else should change except the project key. Change history will be lost if I go with the approaches you have sugested
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OK, I understand. Your primary concern with this is needing to maintain the version history, so reusing items without syncing or project duplication followed by item deletion won't work for you. And you're right about the technical side of it—as it stands it would require a bit of work to make this function possible (especially considering the versions). I've changed this post to an Idea so our Product team can consider it as a feature. I know that we're working on some new ways to work with items, so this feedback is good to have. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What Moses is asking for is very important to our company as well.  I may start work on a feature in one project but the decision is made that it is best in another project.  I need to be able to move it so I won't lose the history, versions, comments, etc., for that item or group of items.  Most applications have a standard move AND reuse (copy) function.  Both are extremely important for usability.  Is adding a move function on the Jama road map at all?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 160
    edited March 2016
    Options
    "move" is something that we are actively investigating. The complexity in dealing with item ID's, integration setup, item type setup (especially across projects), tags, attachments, versioning, sync, baselines, reviews, permissions, etc. is something we have to be very thorough with. 

Would you expect to be able to move an item and then revert to an old version of an item? If you revert to an older version, would the expectation be that it goes back to the old location within Jama? 

Would you expect that the exact item type would need to be in both projects? 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes I would expect to move an item and revert to a previous version of the item.  I would not expect the older version to move it back to the previous location - if I wanted to do that I could just move it again. And if the exact item type needed to be in both projects I would use the current reuse functionality.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This is exactly the scenario I was just asked about by our director.  I'm glad to have found this stream.  This conversation is a year old, has there been any further updates or conversations about moving items from one project to another?  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 160
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Recent updates to Jama does allow for moving up components or sets of items between projects. You can right click on a set or component and select Move Items. This is available on hosted and 2015.2 and 8.0 +. 
  • Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 11
    Options
    We need this as well.  Having the ability to move an item from one project to another without losing all it's past data seems to be a very basic function.  Scope changes happens on every project and having the ability is a must.  I see that "move" functionality is available at the item set level, which seems to me much less useful.  We are often needing to move a few around, but rarely want to move the entire set.