[Feature Request] Search and Filter options.

James Massa
edited October 2016 in
Having to create new or modify Filters to narrow down to the results we need is frustrating. It would help immensely if the search feature had options for "Current Location" and "Current Filter Results". 

Current Location - Would use the currently selected location and all child locations in the explorer to provide results.

Current Filter Location - Would search only the results provided by the currently open/selected filter tab.

It would also be useful if Filter had an option to prompt a user for a specific component. That way you could pre-define a filter that is common to a set or results and provide a user input on use of that filter to determine a more specific subset of results.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2016
    Hey James,

Thanks for joining and commenting. I'm curious how you would see the current location/current filter location implemented; would it be further addition to the facets, e.g. options apart from Modified, Author, Coverage, etc.?

In terms of the Location by component...I'm not sure I follow here. How is this suggestion different from using the Location condition? 
  • James Massa
    edited October 2016
    Thank you for the reply.

We have numerous sub-systems with tons of DHMs, SRS, DRD, ect documents under each one. If I have a SCR describing a bug in our system and I want to find out what specific requirement this bug is failing, or perhaps that we are missing a requirement, I have no easy means to do this. I can either search the entire project from the main search, which results in many results that have to be scanned through individually ... or I have to write a very specific filter for every SCR I am trying to do a requirement analysis on. I should note that we don't have software that links SCR to Jama automatically (clearquest).

If I know, for instance, that the requirement would be limited to a specific document it would be great to be able to select that document and then search from location using the search bar to narrow the results to what I am specifically looking for.

Search from Tab or Search from Filter results would allow us to use Filters as broad definitions and then be able to use the Search bar to refine the search. Going in we have no idea what SCR/bug may be entered against the software, so we can not pre-define a filter ahead of time. We can make decent guesses as to what the categories would be, but having to build a custom filter for every incident is a bit frustrating.

This may actually resolve the Location request as well as I believe that whenever you click a location you also open a tab of all contents under that location.
  • Preston Mitchell
    edited October 2016
    Hi James.

Use the "filter items" link in each tab you open to search just the filter results or tab. Then you can further search with AND OR criteria in the "Keyword" field.

Alternatively you can limit your filters to specific locations using the location criteria:

Cheers,
    Preston
    Preston
    Jama Software