Allow Upstream Traceability in Coverage Explorer

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in
This is a fundamental capability necessary for government contracting work.  Our customers require us to submit our test documentation to them for approval. Part of that documentation is an upward look (from a test case to the requirements).  When reviewing a test case, the first thing that gets looked at is the allocated requirements.  To provide them the RTM and require them to hunt for the requirements allocated to the case in question is falling way short.  To fill that gap, the test team has to manually manipulate the RTM (fill in the blanks, sort by test case, remove duplicates).  this is something every requirements management software should be able to do.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Is there a way to trace upstream coverage?.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would like to see this ability to look upstream built into the coverage explorer.  Since

we can not use the coverage explorer I find that we use filter a lot to get this information. This seems to work fairly well
  • Stephen Millen
    Stephen Millen Member, Data Exchange Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'd like to have this feature as well.  Ideally, the coverage explorer would be able to show both directions at the same time rather than having to run two separate reports.

I've experimented with the Office Templates to generate reports and there is a way to include upstream and downstream items for each item exported.  This has proved useful for us but has frustrating limitations.  The main issue is that you are left with a bit of manual re-formatting after generating the Word doc - text fonts are often messy (depending on what formatting is applied to the items in Jama - I try to encourage plain text where possible) and re-sizing images.  The Jama help page for this is:

http://help.jamasoftware.com//index.html?custom_report_tags.htm
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for making the original post, Mary, and the votes from Bob and Jason. Stephen, thanks for posting your experience attempting to make this happen with the Word templates. I think it's the best workaround we have right now.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    In case you count votes: my company would also find this capability useful. 
  • Shawnna Williams
    Shawnna Williams Jama Staff Posts: 17
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A velocity report would allow you to get upstream relationships of specific item types. I know several customers have gone this route to see upstream requirements related to test cases. 
  • Shawnna Williams
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bob - Velocity reporting is another reporting tool used in Jama - it's HTML/java based and is very useful for creating "documents" and reporting on relationships. It calls the Jama Velocity API. 

I have worked with 2 customers who wanted a Test Plan document that also displayed items related to their Test Plan. These were custom engagements but if you have someone in-house who has some skill with HTML and java, it could be done.
  • Shawnna Williams
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bob - Yes- that page is a great help with writing velocity reports. Jama's user guide also has a section on Velocity that can help you get started with a report. Velocity is great for reporting relationships.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Should anyone else stumble upon this thread, I wanted to point you to a new initiative our greater Customer Success team has been working on. We are making available some custom reports—read that post for the caveat and utilize the Upstream Traceability report!
  • Yuheng He
    Yuheng He Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled For Coverage Explore: Add option to add Relationship Trace Upstream and Downstrea....

It would be very helpful if JAMA can Add option to add Relationship Trace Upstream and Downstream with one selection for Coverage explore. I just read the question suggested by Jeff. It seems that he has the same idea some months ago. 
     https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/creating-tracability-matrix.

on my point of view, the Coverage explore offers a very important relationships function. But till now only the downstream items can be shown at the right column. IF the upstream items can also be added, it would be great!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like the setup for the "advanced reuse" functionality, see figure below for an example. If something similar could be used for the coverage explorer that would great. image
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey Vegard, that would be cool! As it stands we are almost done developing this new coverage view (that includes upstream traceability), but I am not sure how much control users will have.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Kristina - Great News! Can you share any insights into what this new coverage view will look like?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So far it's looking like it belongs in Jama—there's a button in List View that will enable the view, and users can page upstream or downstream multiple levels. I haven't played with it too much myself, but they've been slowly building it out and it is getting promising :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Has there been an update on this request Is there a way to trace upstream coverag....

I need to provide an export to our customer showing upstream as well as downstream coverage  I've seen threads from a year ago and wanted to know if this was possible now?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi Kae! I've merged your post into another on the topic to ensure I don't miss one when following up. We have built and are currently testing the upstream coverage view. It is not going to be complete in time for the next on-premises release (8.1), but from what I understand, it should be available later this year.
  • Elsa Mieusset
    Elsa Mieusset Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi Kristina,

The new coverage view in the List view is a brilliant functionality! It provides upstreams traceability and shows all related items irrespective of their types, which was in my view 2 important restrictions of the classic Coverage Explorer.
    However there no export available in the new Coverage view, which would be more than useful. Is that a functionality on Jama roadmap?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi Elsa,

I'm glad you're liking the functionality thus far. From what I understand the plan is to bring this up to parity with Coverage Explorer, so exporting should be on the roadmap. I'm checking in with a colleague to confirm and will let you know when I have a firm answer!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Elsa, I just wanted to let you know that exporting to Excel is on the roadmap.
  • Vladimir Cech
    Vladimir Cech Member Posts: 183
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I ask for upstream traceability as well.
    Vlada
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This is available in our new Traceability view, which is currently available on our Express and hosted 8.x channels. It will be available in Standard soon.
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've checked it and it's not working for me in hosted channel. Shall I allow something to be able to see upstream traceability?
    Vlada
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's not via Coverage Explorer, but a new button in List View—if the items you're viewing have upstream relationships, you should be able to click the arrow on the left side to view them. What happens when you select that arrow?
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank you Kristina for pointing me to it. I'm still investigating 8.x version and I haven't reached this new functionality yet.
    Vlada
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Additional question: How can I export this traceability?
    Vlada
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You can't, yet. That feature is coming very soon. (The feature is still in "open preview," so it's not considered complete.)