Need ability to reuse Test Plans, Test Groups and Test Cycles.

Steve A.
edited July 2016 in
Need ability to reuse Test Plans, Test Groups and Test Cycles the same way you can reuse most any other object in Jama.   Or, alternatively, support duplication of these objects when duplicating a project.

I work in a Services organization where we do about 100 projects a year.  There is a high degree of process reuse across these projects.  So we need Jama to support reusing Test Plans, Test Groups and Test Cycles to make this more efficient.   Without this, we need to recreate these test objects from scratch for every project. I know that we have the ability to define a template for the Test Plan, but we really need Test Group and Test Cycle reusablity.

Comments

• Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    I agree that it would be beneficial to be able to reuse these items to the same degree that you can reuse everything else, at least for consistency's sake. I'm curious, though: Test Plans have a "Duplicate" function (when you right-click). The Duplicate function will copy the Test Plan and Group, but not Cycles.

So is it the lack of duplicated Cycles that is the biggest blocker for you?
  • Steve A.
    edited June 2016
    Hi Kristina,
    As far as I know, the Duplicate function only works within a project.  I cannot use it to duplicate a Test Plan and/or Group/Cycles from one project to another.
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Ah, gotcha! Depending how you branch releases or products, the lack of reuse could mean a lot of extra work. That makes sense. Thanks.
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited June 2016
    We also would appreciate if we can duplicate Test Plans together with Test Cycles. Any progress on it? This will remove lots of work...
    Vlada
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    So far, no progress yet.
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited June 2016
    Hi Kristina,
    And what can we do to make the progress happen? At least to know that this is (not) considered / will (not) be implemented. There is a bunch of ideas / defects reported but nobody is aware if and when do you plan to deal with / implement / fix them. Even if you are working in agile mode there must be some predication and I think that customers would appreciate this information as they can see that their ideas and issue are appreciate and taken seriously.

Thank you
    Vladimir
    Vlada
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Vladimir, I'll let you know as soon as I know something is concrete. We plan the roadmap out several quarters in advance, and it only shows major feature work, of which updating Reuse to be included in the Test Center isn't on there. So I can tell you, then, that this is not planned short-term. However, there are other ways for us to see minor work get done, as we do create "bundles" of defects and minor updates.

The problem with this particular ask is that it doesn't have much traction—some Ideas in the community get more likes and feedback from different customers, so it's much easier for me to present a business case for those than it is Ideas like this, where only two customers have expressed a desire. I know that it is important and will rally for this option when I am presented with an opportunity, but at this point there are other items I have to prioritize over this. If you haven't seen the roadmap yet, I'd check with your CSM (Brad) to see if he can share it with you.
  • Cynthia Weber
    edited December 2018
    This is also something that we could use.
  • Chrishan Fernando
    edited June 2022

100% need this. When we branch off from a project (reuse) and work through that project all the way to the test phase, we can only push up the changes made to other items (like requirements, and verification protocols). We are unable to push up test results back up to the main project, so the test results are in separate silos.

• Michelle Ballard
    edited August 2022
    I had to build a work-around using the REST API. You can get test plans, test groups, test cycles in one project, then use POST/PUT commands to upload in another as well as re-establish relationships and stuff. It's kind of wonky though. Also have to copy over test cases if they don't exist.
  • Alessandro Valli
    edited August 2022
    The same for me :-(
    Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG