Jedi: trace matrix overhaul

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 161
edited July 2016 in
Hi Jedi High Council,

I know I am not the only one who thinks that Trace Matrix could be so much more useful, usable, desirable. I like to work together to make sure that Trace Matrix becomes a world-solution solution as one of the tool in the trace ability tool kit to create, review, update, and remove relationships.

This was partly addressed in this thread.

https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/trace-matrix-id-order

Here are some additional ideas.

To populate the rows and columns
     use the typical selection dialog with review center
     select in explorer
     select by filter
     select by tags
     etc.

Then can further refine by the faceted search by keywords, people, or dates

The row and column headers need to freeze so we can scroll to the right and to the bottom

Not only it should allow interactive update but also batch update to allow many to 1 and 1 to many relationships.

Also should also export/import. You know most people want to use Excel. So this can be tied to the currently difficult-to-use relationship import via plug-in.

Trace ability is an important selling point of Jama. Let's make sure that users can create, update, export, review, and delete relationships one-by-one, in batch, or by export/import. Heck. send the matrix to review center too :-)

So many ideas. So little time. Skipping a bike ride this evening. I'm dressed instead for the rowing machine so I can going to stop for now.

Looking forward to chat. Oh yeah, again at my company because of my urging an engineer wrote a proprietary solution called 2D Link Matrix that actually works with Jama database. Not sure that I can share. I can just give you my user stories and will be happy to chat.

swoo

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi Bob,

I love Coverage Explorer also. It could use some major overhaul too. Almost tempted to start a placeholder discussion, but you may as well start it. I think you have great ideas about Coverage Explorer.

Here is the tip that I found on the Internet on filling blank cells.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-fill-in-blank-cells-in-excel-quick-and...

My latest solution is that I hacked Shawnna's up-stream Velocity Report for two-level up and down stream report. No blanks :-)

At my company I assume that the CEO and the college summer interns all have some Excel proficiency. In another thread I am arguing that Excel Roundtrip could be the thinnest client for Jama data. I am not pushing for Excel-like functions in Jama. I'm pushing for doing some stuff with Jama data directly with Excel :-) (No, I don't own stock in Microsoft--nor Jama :-) I assume most people are not too stupid and lazy to learn Jama. Most people are too busy to learn--even I tell them that I can get a casual reader or started in 5 to 30 minutes.

Well, there are many topics. I think Jama should hold a virtual, alcohol-free beer fest, and we can all chat at a mutually convenient time :-)

Have a good weekend.

swoo
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    Options
    He Jedi High Council:

Do you like to promote new and advanced users to take full advantages of Jama?

Do you like to point that that one of the most compelling functions of Jama is to manage relationships in addition to items; managing relationships is just cumbersome or impossible with Word, Excel, e-mails, etc.

Do you like to help people how to read, update, export, and manage relationships one to one, one to many, many to one, and many to many with the Web UI and other capabilities? Do you even dream of a real graphical display and editor of relationships?

What do you think are the most urgent and important ways to enhance Jama to allow users to interact with related items/relationships?

What will be the equivalent of a "lightsaber" of relationship management UI/function? Of course, we will put the force to good rather than evil purposes. Hum, perhaps Kristina needs to specify that as one of the qualifications to be a jedi.

May the Force be with us. :-) as we fight for peace and justice in the Jama galactic empire....

swoo
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree that coverage explorer could be awesome! Unfortunately, it is currently more of a fancy showpiece than a productivity boosting workhorse. We ended up creating a velocity report which pretty much completely replaces coverage explorer.
    If this community (and most importantly Kristina/Jama) are interested in discussing this, I would be happy to show what our vision of Coverage Explorer report looks like. Would love to see it integrated back into the official coverage explorer, with even more polished features.
    Tom
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Tom, next time I have an opportunity to bring this up, I will. I appreciate your offer to show us what you've created. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Swoo, thanks for posting this topic. Bob, thanks for your added input. I know you're both sharing your feedback because Jama's an important part of your workflow and you have come across areas that need improvement. I appreciate the thoughtful feedback. When I get an opportunity to share this feedback with our Product team, I'll be sure to.
    I saw a road map presentation last week, and a couple of the items on the "soon" docket might be accomplished by refurbing the trace matrix or coverage explorer. We're going to be looking at new/improved ways to visualize coverage/relationships and see relationships in review. Given this, your feedback is quite pertinent.