Trace Matrix sort order should be configurable; alphabetical is difficult to use

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 160
edited September 2016 in
In using the Trace Matrix to assign item relationships, I have noticed that the Item IDs do not appear in sequential order. For example ID --1 is followed by ID -10, -11..19.. -2, 20, 21, etc. rather that -1 through -10, then -11 through -19, etc. which leads me to believe that the entire item ID is being sorted as a string, rather than by "number" sequentially.

In this order, it makes it very difficult to utilize the Trace Matrix to assign relationships quickly. I ended up using a different approach (Explorer View) to assign relationships where the item IDs were in sequential order.

This is Jama Version 2015.1 On Premises  

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 161
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi Don,

Welcome to the community. What you have observed is indeed the Trace Matrix is sorting items by names/titles. With a large collection of items on the rows and columns the current version of Trace Matrix is practically un-usable because a user cannot select/order the items by filtering or selecting from the Explorer tree. The header row/column cannot even be frozen when scrolling. Hopefully Jama will consider your idea as an enhancement request for a future release. Have a good day.

swoo
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don, I agree with both you and Swoo that the inability to sort items in the Trace matrix makes it difficult to use. However, as this is the current designed behavior, I'm going to change this post from a "problem" to an "idea," so that we can consider the change of feature. Thank you both for your input on this.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the reply swoo.  Your point regarding sort by names/titles confirms my thought that it is particularly important that the name/title of an item be descriptive/meaningful enough to locate easily for traceability purposes when organizing items in a project.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks Kristina!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Business Analyst Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi,
    Has any progress been made on this idea since raised over 2 years ago?  Sort order by name is strange considering the standard sort order within the UI and for standard reports uses heading