Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Kristina11-23-2015 21:48

• 1.  Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 14:39
    Is there a way to add another layer of admin (like a project level admin with restrictive permissions), with lesser abilities than the org admin ?

• 2.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 14:41
    Have you tried using the Project Manager level access and having them access the available features under "configure project"?

• 3.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 14:43
    Yes, but that limits them from creating new projects. 

• 4.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 14:47
    Ahh.... I didn't know you were concerned specifically with the need to create new projects.  As far as I'm aware, Org Admins are the only ones that can create projects.

• 5.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 15:04
    We are having the same question here.  Specifically, we have a request to allow a user the permission to configure a certain item type(s) or pick list(s) - but to allow this, would be to allow full admin access, which has it's risks.

• 6.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 17:26
    Mary, I think we should branch your comment of into an Idea thread so that we can consider this as a feature. I'm curious, though, why a non-admin user would need to configure an item type or pick list. Are they managing a project that requires some project-specific values?

• 7.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 18:13

Hi Kristina,

This request is coming from our project test team who would like to be able to add pick list options and fields to their test case "real time". Those items are currently only used in the Testing Project within JAMA. I was looking to see if there was any way to accomodate them with out providing full blown Admin access.

Mary

• 8.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 18:29
    Hi Kristina,

I would like to add that, the need for this is driven by the below mentioned use case  

7+ teams working on different projects and each team will need to manage the workflow, item types creations, user additions/deletions, pick list changes etc at the project level - so in our case, it makes more sense to provide one admin for each group who will manage multiple projects concurrently.  Since the org admin provide a global access, the risk is the visibility of org admin to cross functional project settings, which is not desired.  
    So, the need for project level admin is desired to  minimize the risk of access to global parameters between admins of  cross functional teams.  Hope that makes it more clear.

Sudha

• 9.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 20:08
    Mary and Sudha, thank you for the added context. Rather than allow a project manager access to edit an item type or pick list to, it sounds like what you really need is the ability to make item types, pick lists, other configurable things, etc. manageable and configurable on a project-by-project basis rather than global. I'm going to branch this part of the conversation into an Idea so that we can consider this. Thank you!

• 10.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-06-2015 20:09
    Q&A thread contains idea

Please reference the new conversation here: Project managers need ability to configure item types, pick lists, etc. for indiv...

• 11.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-08-2015 21:15
    I just found this conversation because, I too, have these questions.  We just recently purchased the Jama Management tool, and we are finding multiple functional areas that are asking to use Jama for their non-IT needs (which is awesome!).  One example is our Procedures area wants to create the procedure documents using Jama because it's the only tool we have that offers the benefits of a Review Center and electronic approval functionality.  However, I would like them to be able to administer/create their own procedure projects without visibility into our IT projects.  I'm eager for another layer of administration or super user ability that does not allow the user to configure the Jama tool, but only create, configure, and view their own projects.

• 12.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 05-11-2015 15:32
    It sounds like, ideally, you'd like to see a Project Manage permission encompass project creation and customization in addition to the current rights—or perhaps have this be an added optional ability for that permission type. Thanks for the added context, Lisa! It is great to hear that you are finding additional uses for Jama :)

• 13.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 10-13-2015 11:29

As of now, as org-admin assignment of role/Access in JAMA is very limited.

Since there are various role that should be given to each member of the Team for example:
    1. Baselining (can only be done if youhave a Manage project role)
    2. Change of default type (can be done if you're Organization Admin)
    User is dependent on the Org-Admin when using the “Relationship PLugIn”

This Feature is needed to have a good Level of Access assignment to each member of the Team.

• 14.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 10-13-2015 14:56
    Hi Sarah! You raise a very good point about the relationship import plugin especially. Thanks for the context.

• 15.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 10-14-2015 04:33

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for looking at this.

Actually this was triggered during the use of "Relationship Plug-In". The users needs to create a ticket and need our Support Team  just to do this. This is very cumbersome for the users and also affects the principle of ISO26262 that the users should be Independent and be responsible for their own data.

Any info if this feature will be a part of the next Releases or is there any plan to implement such a Feature?

My Team is the first line of Support here in IFX that is why we feel the pressure from the community. Even if we are still in the piloting and the no of users are still controllable the pressure is there because we have to react faster than the agreed SLA's so that the tool acceptance will not be affected.

I'll appreciate it so much if you can give me more info on this.

Regards,

Sarah

• 16.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 10-14-2015 15:52
    Sarah, I figured the use of the Import Relationships plugin was the impetus for this post :) I understand where you're coming from on this, though. While the plugin is relatively easy to use what's configured, the fact that an admin has to add a new plugin every time a different relationship type is needed is inefficient. In terms of "will this feature [either a change to the Plugin or a change in permissions] be in the next release," the answer is \ "no." We're finishing up our testing for our next release which is due imminently, so there won't be any sweeping changes between now and then. As to future releases (the first of 2016), I can't say.

I'll be sure to update this thread when I know something.

• 17.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 11-23-2015 18:54
    We would be very interested in a user role that is not granted full OrgAdmin rights, but that would have the ability to create new projects and move projects between folders in the left nav tree.

• 18.  Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 11-23-2015 21:48
    Thanks for the vote, Eileen.

• 19.  RE: Re: Is there a mid-level admin permission available? (like a project manager with restricted admin permissions)

Posted 21 days ago
    Since this discussion thread in 2015, has there been any other updates on updates to the software for this?  Also, the link in 10. is broken - Page Not Found.

------------------------------
    David Watkins
    Collins Aerospace
    ------------------------------