Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Test Run Assignments to a Group

• 1.  Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-09-2015 19:20
    In explaining one of our (Jama) processes to a colleague I recognized that I am doing something a little convoluted to get Jama to support a business process.  I'm looking for suggestions, and I have a couple of ideas if I don't have an ah-ha moment here in the fora!   :-)

Our method of assigning tests runs for execution, which predates our use of Jama, is that effectively we use a bag">http://algs4.cs.princeton.edu/13stacks/">bag or pull">http://leankit.com/kanban/kanban-pull-system/">pull system (if you will) for execution assignments.  That is, we have 1 - 3 teams working on a test cycle and we assign work to teams, not individuals.  As they are able, individual users assign runs to themselves (grab them) and run them.  For us this works great.  (We love that Jama makes the tester reassign the test run to themselves.)

The rub from a Jama perspective is that AFAIK test runs can not be assigned to a group.  So we've created users that basically map to a group.  We have email distribution lists (mail server side) to inform the group of assignments, and assign test runs to these "user-groups" (as opposed to User Groups).   Got that?   :-)

In effect, I realized we have "user-groups" (special users) that pretty much have the same membership as particular User Groups.  We've been doing this pretty much since the beginning so I now take if for granted ... but it seemed a little convoluted as I was explaining it to someone else today.

I'd be very surprised if some other test teams don't (prefer to) operate in this way.  Anyone else have a better solution, or a similar need?

Cheers, and Thanks!
    Bob

I've flagged this for a number of categories because, frankly, I've not clue where it belongs...

• 2.  Re: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-09-2015 20:21

Hi Bob,

This almost sounds like something where the Jama "Test Groups" could be used.  I know the standard way of grouping tests might be by functional area, but could this feature be used slightly differently, by naming the Test Group after the user-groups you have instead?  Then the Test Plans might be focused on functional area instead.

Of course, if you are depending on the notification of via the user-group email when a Test Group is assigned to a user-group, then this may not work out.

Mike

• 3.  Re: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-09-2015 20:47
    Hey Mike-

Indeed we have also used Groups in this way, but you are correct, part of the intent is to leverage the ability to notify by email.  But you are also correct in that we are trying to leverage the test case folder structure (or similar) to logically group like test cases.  Different team members move have better skills for (or even enjoy running) a particular test cases.  Mixing the assignees up (somewhat randomly) can tease out new issues because in my experience no 2 testers run the test exactly alike - automation notwithstanding!

We also, BTW, use this for test case reviews.  If a test is written or modified by one team, we assign it to a different team for review.  That "keeps us honest" and help insure that the knowledge about the methodology is shared.  (We might use it in some other way too, I'm not thinking of.)

What we're doing is working, but as I explained it to someone else I recognized that I was sort of mixing concepts of groups and users!

• 4.  Re: Test Run Assignments to a Group

• 5.  Re: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-09-2015 23:12
    Bob, one thing to note is that the "Jedi High Council" is a private category with limited users, so the normal folk won't have access to this post (even though you included other categories), only the users who are in this group. However, they've generally proven themselves to be the most helpful, so I won't say that you've erred in applying this category ;)

Assigning tests to user groups is a need that makes a lot of sense with all of this context. Thanks for bringing it up...I'll make sure this is seen when the Test Center is put on our roadmap ;)

Angie and Jennifer use the Test Center heavily in the organization. I wonder if they have other ideas.

• 6.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-19-2018 04:34
    Edited by Mari Leipola 09-19-2018 09:11
    Thank you Bob for this idea! This would work very well in our company. But can I ask some clarification?

- Do the users of the group (group called a user, i.e. User Userton) have to sign in to JAMA first with this User Userton -account and then assign test runs to themselves? Then sign in as themselves? Or how can they see, which test runs are assigned to User Userton? Or do you deal with this via email?

Edit. I figured out, how you do it. Thanks anyway!

------------------------------
    Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland

• 7.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-19-2018 10:33
    Hi Mari-

I've been out of the Jama loop for a while, having retired.  I'll add some more here in case someone is also interested.  We came up with approach after some experimentation.

The usage scenario was that test work was split between on- and off-shore teams.  Because the product under test was embedded firm/software most tests have specific hardware requirements including some expensive (or one-of-a-kind) equipment.  Test runs were therefor split up according to each site's capability.  While we could pull from a single queue, it was preferable to make team assignments initially, and adjust toward the end of the cycle.

I think we found the best way to do this was to create some dummy Jama accounts, e.g. named team_1 and team_2, and assign test cases to them forming multiple queues.  I believe each tester can "take" a test run from another - essentially claim them to avoid duplicate effort.  Local management at each site could then check the queue with a filter.

I posted this scenario looking for a better way, and hoping that if the Jama Developers ever found themselves not buried ...  :-)  ... this might be a useful feature to support more formally.  I don't recall what the "cost" of the dummy accounts were, but this methodology felt a little kludgy.

Cheers,
    Bob

Bob Dilly
    Retired Software Engineer

• 8.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-19-2018 11:35
    Thank you so much Bob and enjoy your autumn!

Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland

• 9.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 09-21-2018 12:26
    Mari:

This would be an interesting option to look at! I know you are in the middle of configuring your Jama instance, let us know if you end up going this route.

Bob:

Thank you so much for coming out of retirement to help Mari. We have the best customers, past and present.

Have a great Friday everybody!

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 10.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 10-11-2018 01:44
    Chloe: Yes, we are going to use Bob's method and I think it's an amazing idea!

Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland

• 11.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 2 days ago
    Hi folks,

We were using this Bob's great idea while practising use of Jama and it worked well. Then I created a new project, and first of all, these "dummy users" made for assigning purposes did not appear there. With little help I got all the users to project, but the filters we use for assigning stuff don't work.

E.g:
    I have a dummy user called Velho Labra. I assign a test run for them. I create a filter:

But for some reason, there are no results in this filter, although one test run has been assigned to this user.

Does this have something to do with configuration of the project? I tried this with another project and it worked.

Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland

• 12.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 10-10-2018 18:00
    @Bob, hello again!​

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 13.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 10-10-2018 21:28
    Hey there KK!

Been a while.  Thought of you of course when I jumped into this thread.   I retired about a year ago, so I'm a bit out of the loop in the current features.  Still believe strongly in user forums though!

Be well - Contact me offline?
    Bob

Bob Dilly

• 14.  RE: Test Run Assignments to a Group

Posted 23 hours ago
    For some reason my question went in the middle of the thread...I post it again, little modified.

Hi folks,

We were using this Bob's great idea while practising use of Jama and it worked well. Then I created a new project, and first of all, these "dummy users" made for assigning purposes did not appear there. With little help I got all the users to project, but the filters we use for assigning stuff don't work.

E.g:
    I have a dummy user called Velho Labra. I assign a test run for them. I create a filter:

But for some reason, there are no results in this filter, although one test run has been assigned to this user.

If I switch "Select a project" from this one project to All Projects, I get results from all the projects, including the ones which are from this particular project. But if I use Current project or this named project, I don't get results. Confusing!

Sorry about this confusing question. Does anyone understand my problem?

Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland