Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Need a way to import MS Word heading numbers into a Jama requirement field

• 1.  Need a way to import MS Word heading numbers into a Jama requirement field

Posted 08-06-2015 16:37
    I have a legacy requirement document that I want to import into Jama. That document has sections that use the default MS Word outline numbering (i.e. Heading 1, Heading 2, and so forth). Each heading is imported into the correct level in Jama. Great! However I would also like to preserve the actual outline number (e.g. "2.1.4.5") somehow in a field attached to each Jama requirement. This way we can trace requirements back to the legacy document and other documents that refer to them. Is there a way to do this?

• 2.  Re: Need a way to import MS Word heading numbers into a Jama requirement field

Posted 08-06-2015 16:52
    It's definitely possible, but it'd take some effort on your part to get the source data set up prior to import.  

If your import source uses the table import option, you could easily map the heading info into a custom field.  You'd need a 'heading' field in your table apart from the actual Word heading in the import source.  But it'd work well for what you want.  Another option would be to just include the heading text within the item's description.  Or to include a table within the description.  

If you've already run an import, your options are a lot more limited.  In that case I think you'd need to write a utility that talks to the API.  You could probably make it smart enough to parse the existing heading and plop it into a text field though, so it would require a lot less fiddling around in the import source doc.  That said, if the import doc isn't that large, you'd probably be best off just re-doing the import with the format that works for you (if you can get away with it).

Oooohhh... and one more option.  If you want to have that legacy heading exist in a field rather than in the description, do a round-trip Excel export/import.  Create your custom field, export to Excel, add your desired headings in the worksheet and then import/update from there.  Voila!  

• 3.  RE: Re: Need a way to import MS Word heading numbers into a Jama requirement field

Posted 01-11-2017 03:39

Hi,

some of our users perfers to work with WORD. Until now, we can well Import the requirements written in WORD to Jama.

Is there a way for the users to Export the exisiting Requirements from Jama to WORD, then edit the Content of the existing exported Requirements in WORD + add from more new Requirement into the exported WORD document and then re-Import the word Document back to Jama to update those exisiting ones and at the same time those newly added requirement also be imported?

Thanks

Lien

------------------------------
    Lien Bäcker
    Gira, Giersiepen GmbH & Co. KG

• 4.  RE: Re: Need a way to import MS Word heading numbers into a Jama requirement field

Posted 01-11-2017 10:56

Hi Lien,

It sounds like you're hoping for what is essentially the equivalent of Roundtrip but for Word. We do not have this functionality in Jama, and I have not seen any plans on the roadmap to do so.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Need a way to import MS Word heading numbers into a Jama requirement field

Posted 06-02-2017 04:43
    Hi,

Another way to do this, just add a space before each number, and JAMA will import the title number in the name.

I wrote a word macro to do that :
    ActiveDocument.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText
    For Each oPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
      If Left(oPara.Style, 6) = "Title " And oPara.Range.Characters.Count > 1 Then
        oPara.Range.InsertBefore " "
      End If
    Next

Bruno Marchal
    CONDUENT

• 6.  RE: Need a way to import MS Word heading numbers into a Jama requirement field

Posted 06-02-2017 09:15
    Thanks for sharing this, Bruno. I love seeing Macro magic at work.

Kristina King
    Jama Software