Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

• 1.  Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 01-29-2015 16:21
    The requirements and all other items in a project have to be cleaned up using newly approved terms. I would use the following method:

- search for the term at project level

- do a round trip export of the view (which must show all text fields that can be edited)

- correct the term using search and replace in Excel for example

- import

But before doing all that I'd like to check with you if there is a search and replace option within Contour?

(Originally posted by Nicola Camacho)

• 2.  Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 01-29-2015 16:21
    Thank you for contacting us about this question. While Jama does not have a true search-and-replace function, it does have the ability to batch update items. If for instance you selected a set of requirements and viewed them in list view, you can multi select the ones you want and then right click and select 'batch update'. From there, you will be given a screen that lets you select what fields to batch update.

(Originally posted by Aaron Perillat)

• 3.  Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 03-10-2015 05:20

I totally agree with the need of doing a search an replace of a word or expression on Test Cases, Requirements, etc.

But I do not understand the answer about 'batch update'. Is this action able to substitute just one word of the selected field? It seems to be dangerous if I replace the whole text content of several items wth a unique and same word.

• 4.  Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 03-10-2015 14:46
    Manel, I agree with you—the need for search and replace of a word and expression is not solved by the use of Batch Update. In batch update you can only update like fields with the same content, so you're correct that it could be dangerous to use the function.

I'd personally stick with the original poster's method for search and replace: using Jama's round-trip functionality with Find & Replace in Excel may take a little longer, but it will give you the precise results you need.

• 5.  Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 04-28-2015 09:17

Kristina, from my point of view this method (that we also are forced to use) is just a workaround for a JAMA limitation. If you are satisfied with it then Excel become a mandatory tool for using JAMA.

And this is just one example, editing test steps is even worse and again Excel is a must.

• 6.  Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 04-28-2015 12:43
    post contains an Idea

Please reference the new conversation here: Need a search and replace function (should not have to rely on Round Trip with Ex...

• 7.  Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 04-28-2015 12:43
    Manel, I agree with you that it is a workaround given there is no Jama feature or function that accomplishes the task. I'll branch your reply into an Idea post so that we can consider it as such!

• 8.  RE: Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 01-05-2017 09:20

What's the update on Search and Replace? I was astonished to find (ha) that there is no search and replace capability in Jama. It's a very basic function of a database and would simplify the process greatly (the exporting/edit round-trip to Excel is awkward at best). 

Case in point: We have a certain system component we are totally revamping (and renaming) for a next-gen project. I reused (without sync) the necessary requirements. Now to quickly search and replace the product name in the project... oh dang!

• 9.  RE: Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 01-06-2017 01:23

I would try to use the fix or change URL function as workaround for changing text. I have not tried that til now, but would give it a try when needing it badly.

------------------------------
    Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG

• 10.  RE: Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 22 days ago
    Hi @Kristina, do you have any updates on this thread? Its been quite some time since this thread has been updated. A major issue with the roundtrip export is that excel limits the number of changes that can be made with a find and replace all functions. I have a major project where we have changed nomenclature and I don't want to export each individual set and perform a find and replace on each set. ​

Cameron Whalen
    Kairos Power

• 11.  RE: Re: Can I search and replace a string in a whole project

Posted 22 days ago

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for reaching out! Using the Excel round trip feature in batches is the best option for this process.

We do not have a find and replace option in Jama. If you are interested in suggesting this as something you'd like to see in Jama, we would like to invite you to visit our Ideation module in the Community! This is a valuable space where we will be soliciting and gathering product feedback. You can go here, and use the search functionality to see if your idea is already in there. If it is, then you can vote and comment on the card. If there isn't, please post a new idea card!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR