Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

• 1.  Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 03-09-2015 14:46
    We use tags (such as Sprint 1, Sprint 2, etc.) to mark requirements that will be assigned to development sprints. We are working on updating an existing Project, so the requirements we are working on are spread all over the Project.

Our developers like to export the requirements included in the sprint to identify the work they need to do. When they used the tag filter to get a list, they discovered that Contour arbitrarily placed some subrequirements describing a different area of our user interface under an unrelated parent requirement.

The correct heading level was maintained, but because some higher-level requirements were not included in the sprint, the associated subrequirements were arbitrarily placed under the closest parent requirement included in the sprint. Unfortunately, that parent requirement was completely unrelated to the subrequirements.

Is there a way to automatically include the folder heirarchy when tags are used to identify requirements under development? Folders themselves cannot be tagged.

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 03-09-2015 19:17
    Since exporting from list view is basically what you see is what you get, and there isn't a Word mail merge field that can take into account the folders an item belongs to, we need to look at this another way. The good news is, you can tag folders...it's just not something that's enabled by default. Via Admin > Item Types > Folder > Edit, you can move the Tags widget to the Active column to enable folder tagging.
    You can then tag a folder by editing it.

Your next challenge is getting the filter view you want, but I can't pin down this down to include only requirements and the folder they live in. Folders behave like item types sometimes, but not enough so that they are an option in the filter. The only way you can get them as results is by having an "All Item Types" condition. So if items other than Folders and Requirements are tagged, you'll have more than you need in your view.

Is there a way you can work with this, given that folders are taggable? We've been working to improve findability, so it's possible that this will change. (The last couple of hosted releases included "facets" than allow you to drill down in filters further by keyword and modified date, and I know other changes are coming.)

I'm curious to see if anyone else has a clever workaround. (You can't possibly be the first person who wants to know what folders filter results belong in!)

• 3.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 10-02-2018 01:58
    Hi everyone,

Are there any news on this topic? I would find such a feature very helpful, especially for exporting or distributing the requirements based on filters.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
    Christopher

------------------------------
    Christopher Nadler

• 4.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 10-02-2018 16:39
    Hi Christopher -
    My company is new to Jama and I've been struggling with this too. I've found 2 fields especially helpful - ID and Heading.
    In this snapshot I'm exporting some tests and the folders that are in a similar location. Notice that in the test part of the filter I can use "Location" because I'm filtering on one specific item type. In the folder part of the filter I have to use "Heading" to achieve a similar purpose since I'm matching all item types.
    One obvious drawback is that if you insert any sections before this one, causing the headings to be renumbered, the "Folder" part of the filter will break.

I haven't used this much yet so I'm curious to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States

• 5.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 10-02-2018 17:47
    Theresa:

I know you have been working diligently on traversing the Jama environment, thank you for sharing your hard earned knowledge with Christopher here!

Christopher:

Theresa really knows her stuff! Keep us updated on how this works for you.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 6.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 10-08-2018 01:04

Hi Theresa and Chloe,

The possibility to use the ID in combination with *-FLD-* or *-SET-* + the usage of the heading- and/or location-fields is a nice work-around. However, the work around has still some disadvantages. Let me explain in an example.

We have some project, where we are interested on exporting particular requirements that live in only some folders in our structure. Therefore, we use a filter to query them (see following picture).

When applying the filter, we have many empty folders that we would need to manage "by hand".

We could use the heading to pick up only the relevant folders, but this is

1. Time consuming, if you have a big amount of requirements
    2. Not easy to maintain, if the structure has sporadically small changes
    3. Is therefore error prone

There are other, more automated work abounds, like reuse the containing structure, then filter on not-relevant-elements, delete them and finally exporting the remaining elements.

If you compare this work around or the usage of Heading with the simple feature (e.g. a standard option on the filter window) of including antecessors on a filter, I think we can all agree that the last option is the more elegant and user-friendly one.

@Jama-team: If you are interested in knowing in detail what we are trying to achieve and why is this feature relevant for our processes, we could make a web-conference.

Side note: I previously worked with rational doors in the automotive industry in my previous firm. There we used this feature (include antecessors) in almost all filters. I would even dare to say that this feature was essential in our systems engineering and specification processes.

Thanks one again in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Christopher Nadler

• 7.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 10-08-2018 07:01
    Hi everyone one again,

I contacted also our direct Jama contact person and he sad that the feature we are discussing here was implemented in the spring release of Jama.
    @ Jama team: ​​could you please provide more information on this?

Christopher Nadler

• 8.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 10-08-2018 11:16
    Hi Christopher:

Thank you for these visuals, upon closer inspection of the filter you provided I am wondering if the "empty folders" situation you are describing may be coming from excluding any items which do not have children?:

I was testing in my instance and when I used this as an "AND condition", it filtered out the folders which had child items but, left out the child-requirement items themselves. From reading your replies I am understanding that you are wanting both the folders and the child items? If so, I would recommend taking this rule out of your filter and see if this gets you closer to your goals. Let us know!

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 9.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 06-30-2020 18:32
    Edited by Andrew Collins 07-01-2020 10:03
    Hi - I'm also looking for functionality similar to the "Show Ancestors" and "Show Descendents" functionality from DOORS filters.  Shown below.  

Our "System Requirements" Item Types have a "status" field based on a pick list with values that include "Accepted" and "Rejected".  I'd like to filter for "Accepted" requirements and show the folders or sets that they are under.

Note that not all item types have a "status" field hence Match has to be set to "System Requirements" in the filter otherwise "status" is not available for filtering.  I have tried several ways but so far failed to do this.  For example:

In DOORS, it was as simple as filtering on status and checking the "Show Ancestors" box.

Thanks in anticipation.  Andy

Andy Collins
    Meteorcomm LLC
    Renton WA

• 10.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 07-06-2020 10:43
    Andy:

We have been discussing, one suggestion was to do a basic filter and then view it in Reading View, which would then show the Folders.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 11.  RE: Re: Is there a way to automatically include the folder hierarchy when exporting a filtered list?

Posted 07-06-2020 15:23

Hi Chloe – That works (I didn't realize the views worked differently in that respect). 

Thanks

Andy