Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Versioning of relationships?

• 1.  Versioning of relationships?

Posted 11-23-2015 05:10
    Hi,

in which way are relationships handled within Jama in terms of versioning? From what the User Interface offers I would assume that within a project there is just THE current version of traceability. Is there any way to baseline also the traceability within a project?
    Our use case is the following:
    As we are in a regulated field of medical software development we have to verify our traceability at certain milestones in our project. Up to now we have done this by creating a custom velocity report that evaluates the relationships within certain items in the project, we print the output and sign it (with a pen), and save that document to our SVN.
    We would like to get rid of this - but I doubt that traces are in any way related to a certain version of a document - or are they? At least in the database?

Answers or other ideas are highly welcome,
    Anna

• 2.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 11-23-2015 09:26
    Edited by Dana Medhaug 06-16-2017 16:39
    Out of the box there is no way to baseline relationships. You can bypass that be creating copies of projects or export everything to excel and keep it there.

Another way is a plugin, materializing relationships in rich text fields. making them usable in reviews and as reviews are stored in baselines, also keeps the history.

see https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/plugin-providing-relationships-in-reviews-and-baselin...

• 3.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 11-23-2015 09:49
    Thank you for sharing that post again, Harald - I read it in the past but forgot about it.
    That plugin is not publicly available, right?

Copying of projects is not an option - and exporting the traces to excel to keep them there is basically the same as creating the traceability report with velocity (which we already do there).

The idea with materializing the traces is a nice approach, we will have to think about it.

Anna

• 4.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 11-23-2015 10:50
    There is no problem in sharing that, there is just a risk that future jama versions might lose the ability to support the execution of that plugin. Anyway we would give that away without warranty and liability.

Kristina mentioned some time ago that there might come an area for sharing stuff. What is the state of that?

• 5.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 11-23-2015 13:22
    Harald! I'm glad you mentioned this. I just finalized everything with legal and security, so I'll be posting that this week. 

• 6.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 11-23-2015 13:48
    We are currently looking into solutions around recording relationships within baselines. We will also be exploring tags, attachments, links (all metadata). 

• 7.  RE: Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 05-30-2018 17:34
    Hi @Knowledge Base -
    Anything new to report on this topic?
    Thanks,​

------------------------------
    Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA

• 8.  RE: Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 05-31-2018 08:31
    Hi Theresa,

In version 8.10.1, access to Versioned Relationships was made available through use of the REST API, Baseline Compare, Exports, and custom Velocity reports. You can read that mention in the release notes under Version: 8.10.1 > New Capabilities.

Kimberly Embry

• 9.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 11-23-2015 14:18
    There is a way to write a custom report in BIRT that looks at the evententry table to see when relationships were created and deleted. You can use that to create your own relationship baseline report.

• 10.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

• 11.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 03-14-2016 03:34
    Has there been any progess on this the last 4 months? Do you have any planned date for introducing the functionality?

• 12.  Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 03-14-2016 14:28
    Hi Vegard, there isn't anything to report yet.

• 13.  RE: Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 06-29-2018 13:18

Hi Kristina:

I really love the idea that Herald had brought up regarding "materializing relationships to go into Rich Text Fields using an event based plugin". I work here at Rockwell Collins and we use the Jama Version:

What would it take for us to be able to implement his idea with our Jama version?

Thanks,
    Pavan Chinta

Pavan Chinta
    Rockwell Collins Inc.
    Cedar Rapids IA

• 14.  RE: Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 07-02-2018 10:50
    Hi Pavan,

Since Jama 8.10, you can now view Relationships in the Review Center, no plugin required.

Kimberly Embry

• 15.  RE: Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 26 days ago
    Hi,
    it currently seems, that both in Jama 8.36 and 8.49 the velocity functions returning the relationships for a given documentId only return relationships for the active document (and not for the documentIDs of non-current versions, even if the relationships exsited already for those versions).

The functions we tested are getDownstreamDocumentIds and getRelationshipsForDocument

The Release Notes for 8.10 say that versioned relationships are available now for Jama 8.10 we are quite confident that we have seen them work... is there something we are missing or has something been changed between 8.10 and 8.36?

Regards
    Anna

Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG

• 16.  RE: Re: Versioning of relationships?

Posted 25 days ago
    Anna:

We have some good Velocity code examples of viewing relationships in this Community Report: Baseline to Baseline Comparison Report.

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR