Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

• 1.  Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 01-05-2016 14:32
    I have created several baselines in Jama, I want to make sure that the software team is working of a baseline and not the latest set of requirements. Jama does not appear to allow that.  

In the old DOORS world I was able to easily revert from current to previous and back to current baselines by simply selecting the major or minor baseline that I wanted to see.

Jama does not appear to allow that. It seems that I can only replace item with current and that is it.

Also, if I want to have people work of a previous baseline the baseline view is not very user friendly. 

Is this a Jama limitation or am I failing to use the tool correctly.

Thanks, 

• 2.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 01-05-2016 14:36
    Hi Gaston,

Welcome to the community. I understand your frustration. As far as I know, your observations are correct. There are no easy way to view and revert to several older baselines conveniently. (There may be custom reports possible to extract old base-line information.) Also you might know already that a baseline is a snapshot of items (fields) and not their hierarchical (data hierarchy/structure) or tracelink (item-to-item relationships) relationships. Perhaps this is something that Jama can consider as future enhancements. Good luck with your work.

swoo

• 3.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 01-05-2016 14:45
    Swoo, 

Thank you for your reply. It is very frustrating to not be able to lock down on a baseline and ensure that teams are working on the proper set of requirements. Especially after evaluating the tool with the consultants and being assure that Jama can do baselines to allow different teams to work from different sets of requirements. 

• 4.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 01-05-2016 16:13
    Gaston, thanks for bringing this up. Swoo is correct about the limitations of baselines, in that they aren't especially effective for managing different branches of work—that's where we generally recommend reuse. If you're curious how other customers use Jama for release branching, I'd check out this">https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/-branching-in-jama-share-your-best-practices-for-reuse-and-sync">this conversation.

You should be seeing an email from my colleague Brad about discussing this further with him and a consultant. I hope we can work this out with you!

• 5.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 01-05-2016 18:00
    Kritina, 

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of that approach, but it is not very elegant. I fear the complexity of tracking all the "branches" will become a maintenance nightmare, and lead to errors. 

• 6.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 01-05-2016 20:29
    I hear you on that. We're developing some new features to tackle this need...hopefully those are ready for primetime sooner than later.

• 7.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 09-27-2016 04:04
    Hi Gaston,
    I just saw the question that you have posted 9 Months ago and I'm curious how you are dancing around the issue right now. Did you find a solution to deal with this in Jama? Since I am facing a similar problem it would be great if you could share your knowledge with me.

Thank you in advance for your time and help,
    Stefan

• 8.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 11-03-2016 11:19
    Where does Jama stand with these new features?

• 9.  Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 11-03-2016 13:09
    We've been working on versioning of baselines; we should have something to announce for the upcoming 8.10 release, but I can't say anything is certain until it's been shipped.

• 10.  RE: Re: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 10-25-2021 06:15
    It doesnt seem this was ever solved 5 years down the line or am i missing something?

------------------------------
    Ona Ogbonna
    NVIDIA
    BROMSGROVE

• 11.  RE: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 06-18-2018 17:17
    It would be nice to be able to view items in a baseline with the same user interface available for the current baseline. We are also transitioning from DOORS to Jama, so this would be a familiar feature.

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA

• 12.  RE: Baselines in Jama as compared to DOORS

Posted 06-18-2018 17:28
    Hi Theresa:

This would also be a good Feature Request, I see that you have participated in the Feature Request process at least a couple of times. We appreciate any and all customer requests. Your input is really helpful to our Product team, I really encourage you to provide your insight.

Thanks,

Chloe Elliott
    Business Support Engineer
    Jama Software