Support

Expand all | Collapse all

50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

swoo06-24-2015 23:16

Kristina11-02-2016 21:12

• 1.  50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-12-2015 17:51
    When running a filter, the number of items per page was configuration (back in 2014) but now I don't see any settings. Is there a setting to change this?

NOTE: I  found the 250 default limit of items in the Tree. This is not that. This is the number of items per page after running a filter or looking at the list view of a large set.

• 2.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-12-2015 18:15
    Hi Dana, in the current version of 2015.1 spring release this limit is set to 50. There are no additional configuration and control. Please note that as part of the user experience improvement there are some additional filtering functions that have been put in. Please experiment with those functions. Perhaps all the item you ever want to see in the list view will be fit into the 50 item limit. Good luck. Jama is aware of the impact and the UX design and product team welcome your input and will be interested in your use case and rationale of why your limit will prefer to be higher than 50. Have a good day.

Please try "Filter Results" and then you can filter by Keyword, Item Type, and Last Modified fields to narrow the list of items.

Good luck.

• 3.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-12-2015 20:29
    Thanks. That's clear. I just wanted to make sure there was no setting I was missing. I saw more posts about this limit elsewhere. Maybe they will consider making this a per-project limit like the explore tree items limit (defaults to 250).

• 4.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-12-2015 20:45
    Myself and my company have give explicit and stern feedback to Jama already for consideration. My personal opinion is to do load, scroll, load like the way people scroll down timeline on Facebook. :-)

• 5.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-12-2015 23:26
    Infinite scrolling! That was actually the dream design of our team, but they weren't able to pin that behavior down without a huge hit on resources. I'm sure it's something we'd like to nail down. In the meantime, though, Dana's idea might be more practical, especially combined with the use of "facets" as you suggest. We'll see.

• 6.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-12-2015 23:41
    Hi Kristina, thanks for your reply. I agree a configuraable static limit is a good short-term fix. Somthing along the line of 250 or 500 will be good. On the topic of infinit scrolling, here is an interesting topic. People should dream big and shoot for the moon--actually let's shoot for Mars :--) Have a good wekend. I don't know about you. I provide coverage 7am to 11pm Pacific 7 days a week. :-) This community will be in good hands as long as my Apple Watch , iPhone, iPad stay charged :-) http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/...

• 7.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 06:09
    If you are using on premise then you can manually modify the rowsPerPage setting.  On your Jama server you will need to edit the Tomcat\webapps\contour\js\jama.js file.  Then do a find for rowsPerPage:50 and you should find,

define("app/config",{ajaxLoadDelay:200,itemsView:{rowsPerPage:50}

Just modify the 50 value to what you want.  For example,

define("app/config",{ajaxLoadDelay:200,itemsView:{rowsPerPage:250}

Save your changes and access Jama.  If you already have Jama up then just refresh your page. You should then see more results per page in your project view.

This is an application wide change.  It will affect all user views of all projects.  Personally I think it would be nice if this was a user level setting that was modifiable.  It would be really handy if it was changeable directly from the items view.  Something like this,

**General disclaimer - Manually modifying your JavaScript pages is not recommended and is done at your own risk.  Please make appropriate backups before making any changes.**

• 8.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 12:43
    Jarin, thanks for sharing this idea. We have vigorously discussed this issue with official Jama reps and here in this community and were never told about this fix/work-around. Is this fix safe and robust? This is a great idea. Just told our IT people and will be trying out this soon. Have a great day. Swoo

• 9.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 14:55
    Hi Swoo,

It's such a simple change that it's safe.  I have tested in my test environment and it works great.  I just throw in a disclaimer when it comes to modifying js files since it is technically a hack..  However, it is a simple setting change and you shouldn't see any issues with it.

• 10.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 15:03
    Jarin, thanks. Yours is such an awesome tip.

Hi Kristina, what's the community guideline if I want to thank Jarin with something more tangible like a $10 Starbucks gift certificate, or $10 sandwhich gift certificate? Sometimes cash works best. Or how about $10 Amazon gift certificate or PayPal. It really at least should be $25 but I do not want to get myself or Jarin's company in troubles. Let me go check IRS gift guideline. :-) This is a personal thank you and not representing my company or Jama.

• 11.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 17:49
    @Swoo I've found that "no more than the cost of a business lunch" is the safest measure to use—that's what I have been sticking with.
    (Also: I haven't forgotten about the email you sent me last week. I will be responding.)

• 12.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 17:50
    *Although if your idea of a business lunch includes three rounds of martinis, we are operating on different standards.

• 13.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 17:54
    I do not promote or condone the consumption of alcohol but my wife attests that I make her favorite Cosmopolitan and Mai-Tai. I also make a pretty mean espresso latte martini. Does Jarin work at Jama so I can send him a $10 Starbucks gift card?

• 14.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 17:57
    Thanks, Jarin, for including that disclaimer.

In terms of this workaround, I would caution anyone who tries this to do so on a test environment first. We coded 50 to be the maximum, because after testing, we found it to be the best balance between overall page load speed and to optimize performance. The previous iteration of List View did not have draggable columns, so this version is more resource-intensive. The more columns you have visible, the greater your chance of a slow-down if you add more items to the default view.

Please note also that Jama does not support changes to any config files unless we recommend it in the course of resolving an issue.

• 15.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 18:33
    The answer to that is not yet!  I'm working with Jama because I am interviewing for a tech support position.  However, I think I need to find something to solve that doesn't involve hacking the software..  My other post was about manually modifying the database and got another disclaimer from Kristina.  :)

I appreciate the generous offer Swoo, you really don't have to.  If you insist then you could always send it to Kristina to smooth any ruffled feathers I cause on the community boards.

• 16.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 19:08
    Jarin, thanks for explaining your situation. I wish you good luck and much success.

Kristina, on behalf of Jarin I would like to re-gift you a $10 gift certificate. Where do you like to go? Socks At sports authority? A slice of pizza? A movie? Chips with guacamole and salsa Lol.

• 17.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 23:26
    Hahaha. The fact that you looked this up, Swoo, is payment enough! I got a good laugh out of it. I first just saw the reply and am thinking "Socks? Why would he suggest a gift card for socks? Oh..."

• 18.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-15-2015 23:33
    Kristina, I was an avid marathon runner chasing after my wife who has done 40 marathons. I did 35. We did the Portland Marathon several years ago. I go thru socks and shoes more frequently than Jama upgrades :-) One of my top 10 favorite places to run is along the Willimatte river and over the bridges at Portland. Have a good evening. swoo

• 19.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-24-2015 22:02

While we continue to be impressed with how our customers are able to find new ways to use Jama, we strongly discourage making changes directly to configuration files. At this time, we can only ensure system effectiveness with standard settings. While we are not aware of any immediate impact, changes have not been tested and we can not guarantee Jama will not be impacted negatively. Making changes to the configuration files may cause issues that cannot be seen immediately or by all users. There is risk that Jama will become unavailable for all users when needed. We are currently working to provide a longer term solution that will provide greater flexibility around how many items are viewable within the list view. Thanks for the understanding. 

• 20.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-24-2015 23:13
    While I understand the caution stated here, I strongly suggest that JAMA consider figure out a way to implement a "Supported Setting" that can extend the number of items per "list page" to something greater than "50".

The user community has been accustomed to being to quickly visualize up to "500" items at a time.  And now (in this latest release) that number goes all the way down to "50"!.  A lot of users are going to be very upset that they need to page, and page, and page to quickly get an overview of 200 requirements they are trying to visualize. 

Even if there was a supported server-side setting (like the one found in the database) that could be supported with a caveat about possible performance degradation, that may at least give the community a way to increase it to just 100 or so as a compromise to the user base.

When a feature is removed (visualizing "500" spread sheet items without paging) is downgraded by a factor of "10" you really need to consider what you are removing from a release.

• 21.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-24-2015 23:16
    Dana, good input. I agree. swoo

• 22.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-24-2015 23:18
    Jarin, thanks for the possibility of a work-around. I may test it out and see if I see any adverse impact.  I would appreciated it if JAMA would give some kind of official reply about the possible impact.  Most likely we will try to keep the limit to "50" and see how many people complain but (as I stated) even if we could double it, that may go a long way to appeasing the end users. 

• 23.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-24-2015 23:28
    Possible impact may include the system becoming unresponsive to some users. This is dependent on list view configuration, amount of data, usage, etc. Unless directed and documented by a representative of Jama, we do not support direct changes to our configuration files. 

• 24.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 06-24-2015 23:28
    Dana, Jeremy from the Product team replied about an hour ago on this thread. Are you looking to have more of an official reply?
    Realistically this config file change is not something we recommend doing because Jama is optimized for performance with standard settings. We do not know the ramifications of changing this setting, as there are many environmental factors that would require a thorough testing cycle.

• 25.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-02-2015 20:04
    It seems there is a lot of interest in a more flexible limit here. The reply I would be looking for would be more of a statement on if JAMA will be looking to "officially" provide a way to increase this limit in a future release.  

I think the negative impact here (50 item hard limit) is going to be severe which is why I would hope that JAMA would be looking into a supported fix for this in the near future.

• 26.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-02-2015 20:28
    I agree with Dana. Paging thru many pages of 50 items might put my dog and myself to sleep. Lol

• 27.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-15-2015 16:34
    I wholeheartedly agree.  Many of our key users are using words like "unacceptable".

• 28.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-15-2015 16:38
    I too agree with Dana.  The limit of 50 is draconian. Jama has got to find a way to address this.

• 29.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-17-2015 15:06
    50 is too small.  Having a large view helps us quickly address items efficiently. 

• 30.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-17-2015 15:09
    The change in the UX view is not worth losing the number of items to list through.  I would also add on that you actually display less items per page now because of extra space between the items.  So you have to scroll more and page more compounding the issue.

• 31.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-17-2015 16:54
    Dana, Peter and Brian, thank you for your comments here. We don't have anything scheduled to resolve this woe, but are looking for the right solution. Thank you for your candor.

• 32.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-22-2015 22:12
    We have rolled out the new release.  I am crossing my fingers and waiting.  I did test the increase of the page size and it did work but we won't make that change unless our users will not accept the limit.  So, far, no one has seem to notice but its only been a few days :)

• 33.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 07-22-2015 22:39
    Time will certainly tell. Keep us in the loop, especially if you try out the config change.

• 34.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 09-11-2015 23:35
    It turns out, there was very little complaining from our uses.  The new version has been in place for a while and we only heard one major complaint.  I suppose as long as the response time is very good, people are ok with it. I am still surprised that our users don't want to "visualize" more than 50 items at a time but I guess this does not happen as often as I would think.

• 35.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 09-14-2015 16:02
    Well, I'm quite relieved to hear you didn't have an angry mob on your hands after making the switch! Thanks for letting me know, Dana.

• 36.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 09-14-2015 16:05
    Hi Kristina,

Personally for me I am using the faceted search to narrow the list of items for me to look at so the 50-item limit is not a show stopper. swoo

• 37.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 09-14-2015 17:33
    You're the model user, Swoo, because that's exactly what the UX team was hoping!

• 38.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-25-2015 14:58
    Hello! As we have FINALLY gotten onto 2015.1, we are struggling with the 50 item max. My current headache use case is a set of 2800+ requirements. I have to monitor these for our JIRA sync and updates, so I set to view the fields I need, and the mod times. I had it set to 500, so I could load the page, scroll and check for outliers to fix, go to the next page, check, fix, for 6 "pages".

Now, I have 57 pages to review, and it's REALLY hard to even do so on that, because I can have a "set" of 200+ items that should have the same, say, updated timestamp, but now I have to make sure to recall what it is as I flip pages, vs resorting to a visual "check" for a different stamp.

Please add my woes to the pot. 

Thanks!

• 39.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-25-2015 19:14
    Noted! I have a feeling the follow-up question is going to be, why isn't Jennifer filtering further down on the results? Is it because these items are all the same type/date modified? I'm curious what other facets could be introduced to mitigate this issue.

• 40.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-27-2015 15:15
    It's just a massively large list of items - 200 items to one story in JIRA. There is about 15 wpics - with 2800+ requirements spread among them.  They "should" all have the same data, at least for the the information I'm looking at :)

And, well, I don't want to have to click next, next, next 57 times to review all of the data. :D As an admin, I'm required to be able to review and research issues, so I'm expected to oversee alllllllllllll of the things. Being able to see more things per page is where I want to be. Of course, I do get around this sometimes by querying the db and then reviewing in there instead. 

:D

• 41.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 02-29-2016 22:07
    A interesting point -- One of our admins noted today that while the 2014.2 List View only provides picklist options up to 500 items, it also permits keyboard entry, allowing any number of items to be shown at once.

For example, I can actually set it to 10000, if I want to (even though the picklist display only shows the first three zeros):

I'm in no way claiming that this is a good idea performance-wise, but it's a powerful capability for the admin or power user who feels they WANT to see this many items, performance impact aside.

Our admins often visualize hundreds (occasionally thousands) of items in List View when processing imports from IBM DOORS, which can require significant post-processing before we consider them "clean enough" to proceed with in Jama. Having large numbers of them visible in List View at a time provided an easy way to scroll through and catch outliers that still need to be tweaked, click-sort on fields of impact, etc.

For the maximum to have been pared down by such an incredible degree in the recent versions of Jama with not much consideration to the impact on power users accustomed to the larger number, it seems... shortsighted.

• 42.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 02-29-2016 22:32
    Thanks for pointing that out - I would argue that we are taking the farsighted approach by focusing on the overall performance for most users. While the admin/power user may not worry about the performance impact, they are unknowingly impacting the performance for all users when performing actions like that. We believe (and have validated through several usability sessions and usage data) that our new filtering capability is superior in both performance and usability for looking at high volumes of data. We would be happy to sit in and observe your admins usage to see where we can better fit their needs while protecting the usability of the many. 

• 43.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 03-01-2016 16:43
    Thanks, Jeremy -- A demo session like that might be useful. I'll contact our CSR to investigate setting something up.

• 44.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-02-2016 18:36
    We just finally upgraded from a 2014 version, and this aspect is not selling very well.  I think it is understood by most that if a filter returns so many items that unacceptable performance or "infinite scrolling" is experienced, the scope needs to be reduced.  It should not be enforced by the application based on performance issues witnessed under worst case scenarios.  None of our projects have more than 200 of any single item type, and all of my users would still gladly accept a performance hit in trade for being able to see all of something on one scroll-able list screen again.

• 45.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-02-2016 21:12
    Thanks for the feedback.

• 46.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-03-2016 14:27
    Signal boots from me. Loading 500 items at a time may take two seconds longer than loading 50 items, but that's still WAY better than having to navigate through ten pages and wait 'n' seconds for the next page of results to load every time.

Load the results then Ctrl+F for what you're looking for.

• 47.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-03-2016 16:14
    Part of this overhaul of list view also introduced facets so filtering could be done to the results. Is there narrowing down of results you need to do that isn't addressed by these facets?

• 48.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-03-2016 16:41
    In my experience filters in Jama tend to be slow, cumbersome, and annoying. If Jama had a query box at the top like Jira does where I could just type in a query ("Assigned=Bob Smith" AND Description~"CAN" etc.) I would use it occasionally, but Ctrl+F is still easier, faster, and just more convenient.

• 49.  Re: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-03-2016 20:32
    Agreed, the delay between loading each page of 50 is greater than any I experienced loading a filter of *All Requirements or *All Test Cases (>250) in the 2014 version.  I avoid going beyond page 1 and consider any filter that provides more than 50 results not useful.  I think the UX effort missed the concept that filters are not just for eliminating all the haystacks to find fewer than 50 needles.  This elimination functionality is popular for shopping websites.  I use embedded filters to gather all items that have a couple of parameters in common and sort by other columns (priority, approval status, release target, assigned etc) to find items that are NOT at an expected value.  I do this almost daily to expose requirements with a vacant release target value (no value doesn't appear in the home screen widget graphs).  Current implementation does work for values in the associated columns that fall in the first or last 50 (reverse sort), but anything in between is just painful. 

• 50.  RE: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-22-2016 18:16

Joining this thread late...

Taking away features that users rely on is always a game of Russian-roulette. Early feedback from two of my users is along the lines of "you gotta be --- kidding" and "what are they thinking!!?".  I'm afraid I agree.

In the 2014 version, I've had this feature set to 3000 items for my 2800-ish specifications for years, aware that I can improve performance by reducing it, but preferring to sort and scroll as I scan for data errors (a very useful method for detecting anomalies).  I'll need to reinvent proxies for this functionality now (export to a spreadsheet?). 

I can't picture paging to do what I need to do.

Telling users to write better filters is generally poor UI practice.  Sometimes, I don't want a little window into my world; I want to a big one.  

------------------------------
    Milton Yarberry

• 51.  RE: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 11-29-2016 14:23

Our users would also benefit from being able to see more than 50 items in a view.

Tom Green
    FEI Company

• 52.  RE: 50 Item per page limit. Can it be changed.

Posted 12-14-2018 11:04

Our organization can also benefit from this enhancement as we often have to go back to users and remind them to click on next page and approve as well.  An increased limit will reduce the effort spent to complete the review and approval process.  Instead of defaulting the # requirements on each page to 50, can we set this to the maximum (500)?

Robena Sukhu
    Sun Life Financial
    ON
    416-496-5456