Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

• 1.  Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-01-2016 05:57
    Hi,

after having re-installed our UAT server with Jama 8 several times I would like to point out a couple of issues regarding the supported software versions which is still unclear and feels unmanaged to me:

Let's look at the supported Replicated versions:

"The recommendation is to use Replicated 1.2.113, Replicated UI 1.2.68 (found under Support), Replicated agent 1.2.46 (found under Hosts)"
    We have run into several issues and were advised to install the "current" version of replicated (which was 2.0.1663/2.0.39 by the time of installation).
    If I did the install today (via airgap) the version to download from the replicated webpage is 2.0.1665/2.0.39
    I have not been able to find links to specific versions of replicated - so I am wondering how the management of the correct versions can be achieved at all. I assume that that the standard installations package also installs replicated from the replicated server - so basically users must have the same problem?
    For airgap-installations we can now assure to save the installation packages used for UAT so that the production system is installed with the same component versions by downloading them and using the downloaded componets in both UAT and production - but how can this be achieved with the standard installation?

Let's look at the compatibility between Docker and Replicated:
    Replicated installation script installs Docker 1.11.1 if it is not already installed. This is our recommended version for Docker Engine. If a version of Docker other than our recommended is installed on the environment, uninstall Docker so the Replicated script can install Docker 1.11.1.
    I assume this information was correct when the recommendation was to use Replicated 1.2.x. We now had an issue in the replicated UI and the recommendation was to update Docker to 1.11.2. (which we did).
    Today I checked the Replicated webpage, which states the following (for the new 2.0.x-version):
    Your machine must support docker-engine 1.7.1 - 1.11.1 (with 1.11.1 being the recommended version).
    Does that mean we are currently using an unsopported configuration?

It becomes even worse, when installing replicated and the "Pre Flight check" of the 2.0.x tells that
    Docker server version must be at least 1.7.1 and no greater than 1.12.0
    This may sound a little exaggerated, but the last weeks have shown that the versions DO matter and that there ARE known issues in the software which can be solved by upgrading to newer versions.

Any comments how this can be cleaned up and managed in the future are highly welcome.

Anna

• 2.  Re: Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-01-2016 13:56
    Hey Anna,

Great observations and feedback. Suffice it to say, I understand why you bring this up and I don't think you're exaggerating. As you point out, "versions DO matter and that there ARE known issues in the software which can be solved by upgrading to newer versions." We can't forget that!

As to why the supported software does not reflect the reality you discovered, I can attempt to explain that: during the Jama 8.0 beta and initial releases, we (Support/me) were fed by Engineering the current versions of Replicated/Docker and told to update the supported software page accordingly. It recently came to light (for Support) that these were only the current versions at the time of the release; we didn't actually realize that Replicated and Docker pushed new versions more frequently. So this is absolutely a gap in our process we have to fix. 

As far as maintaining a common version between your UAT and production server, that's a great question. I'll ask around here, and hopefully other customers have some experience and feedback too.

• 3.  Re: Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-02-2016 08:23
    Thank you for confirming my observations, Kristina.
    Is there is timely horizon to when expect this?

Anna

• 4.  Re: Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-06-2016 15:41
    I think the answer is going to be that we encourage the downloading of whatever Replicated version is pulled via the cURL command, as we are not going to be testing every Replicated version that is deployed—the major versions will be validated only (e.g. 1.2.x and 2.0.x). So I'll be updating the list of supported software soon to reflect that...

• 5.  Re: Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-07-2016 03:32
    Thank you, Kristina.
    So does that mean there is actually a way to pull specific Replicated versons?
    For Airgap-customers the link for downloading replicated is always the same (instructions for airgap installationd and https://www.replicated.com/docs/distributing-an-application/airgapped-installations/ ) and I was not able to find any instructions on how to download specific versions (i.e. those that have been validated by Jama) can be downloaded.

• 6.  Re: Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-07-2016 15:08
    I'm looking into that and will let you know.

• 7.  Re: Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-15-2016 14:22
    Anna, I just wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still working on this.

• 8.  Re: Docker and Replicated versions for Jama 8

Posted 09-23-2016 13:27
    Anna, sorry for the delay on getting you a proper response; there was a lot of back-and-forth on this.  Yes, you">https://support.replicated.com/hc/en-us/articles/218956147-Installing-Known-Versions-of-Replicated">you can install a specific version of Replicated. However, we would recommend this only if you must maintain version control of Replicated between a test instance and the same version when you move to production. We do not regression test various versions of Replicated and their compatibility with previous versions of Jama; regression plans call for testing with the current version of Replicated, which are updated regularly. We also do not consider any minor versions of Replicated to be validated for use with particular Jama versions—we rely on major version compatibility. 

Ultimately we cannot provide support for a prior version of Replicated that is pulled separately from our installation script, because they are not tested. Should a problem arise, we would require upgrading of Replicated.