Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

• 1.  Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 01-06-2016 12:50
    I'm puzzled as to why Jama traceability seems to break down between test cases and test runs. I can understand that architecturally the test run is derived from a specific test case vs. other items that are specifically linked, but it's a notable gap when trying to look at the big picture. Interestingly, I can see traceability between test cases and defects created from the test runs, but test runs themselves seem to be in the dark zone.

Before going further, am I missing something? Aside from perhaps using a scripted report, is there a way to readily report on test case/test run relationships?

We appreciate that Jama recently tried to address this by posting a REST API script last week that aimed to accomplish just what we're seeking. We tried it out and got it to work, and we were happy about that as far as it went, however we found several shortcomings that were knockout factors. Primarily, that it would need some sort of scheduler to run it, and, as it's a python script trying to make external access, our firewall blocks it.

But the posting suggests to me that some at Jama recognize this functional shortcoming. If there isn't a ready workaround, are there any development plans to address this in 2016?
    Thx.
    --Geo

• 2.  Re: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 01-11-2016 21:18
    Hi Geo, 
    Thanks for posting this question. First thing is no, you aren't missing anything, and no, there isn't a workaround (aside from the REST script, which you indicated isn't sufficient. I've talked with a couple of people about it internally, and the truth is, I don't have a good answer for you regarding this as a "shortcoming." On the old user forum we had several users ask why Test Runs didn't show up downstream with Coverage Explorer, and I could answer that with "because Test Runs aren't auto-related to their respective cases". But as far as WHY is it that way—I'm not sure.

At this point there isn't anything on the road map about addressing this, but we have raised this as a need. 

• 3.  Re: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 07-07-2016 03:23
    We also would appreciate this functionality. Even more it would be good to see that trace from requirements to test cases to test run. It really helps to understand the status for testing and plan further step. Please reconsider this feature.
    Thank you
    Vlada

• 4.  RE: Re: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 12-21-2016 09:01

I would also like this to be a feature. I can see it being an issue deciding on where test plans would fall (test case->test plan?->test run) but I'm sure whatever comes of it would be helpful.

------------------------------
    Noah

• 5.  Re: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 07-07-2016 12:45
    Vlada, I'll update the "problem statement" we are tracking internally for this. Just like I told Geo in January, nothing is not on the road map specifically addressing this need, but I've heard we're going to look at Test Center functionality in general in 2017.

• 6.  Re: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 08-08-2016 03:45
    When entering a defect through test run window it was expected that defect gets associated with test run . This type of association happens elsewhere in the application.  We think it's a major defect which  has impact on traceability & should be taken on higher priority. I hope you would consider it for an earlier release

• 7.  Re: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 08-08-2016 12:23
    Hi Amit,

When creating a defect while executing a test run, that defect will be related to the executed test run. Are you saying that is not the behavior you are currently seeing?

• 8.  RE: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 03-05-2018 11:43
    My company would also like this functionality to be built-in to Jama. We are considering another product that does automatically create links between test cases and test runs.

Theresa

• 9.  RE: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 03-06-2018 10:48
    Hi Theresa,

Thank you for adding your weight behind this post. I'll update the "problem statement" we are tracking internally for this feature request. 

Getro Naissance
    Jama Software

• 10.  RE: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 06-18-2018 18:01
    I believe the changes in 8.25 satisfy the issue I raised here. Thanks!

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA

• 11.  RE: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 11-22-2019 09:43
    Has this been implemented finally? I would also like to be able to trace from Test Cases to Test Runs on the Coverage Explorer. It just makes sense.

Ramiro Alcazar
    Schneider Electric

• 12.  RE: Traceability - Relating Test Cases with Test Runs?

Posted 11-25-2019 08:25
    @Ramiro:

Have you looked into using the Trace View to see the Test Cases to Test Runs and all other upstream and downstream items?

Let me know what you think?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR