Support

Expand all | Collapse all

How to keep order of test cases for execution?

• 1.  How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 04-18-2016 09:38
    Consider this case:
    There is a set of Test Cases which must be executed in defined order. This order is kept in the set.
    How we can ensure that order of Test Cases is kept even if Test Cases are put to the test cycle and when executed they are executed in required order?

• 2.  Re: How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 04-18-2016 11:00
    Hi Vladimir-

Do you have the latitude to use a number as a prefix in the name?  We ported test cases from a system that caused us to number them, and they sort reasonably in the listing of runs.

Bob

• 3.  Re: How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 04-18-2016 11:19
    Hi Bob,
    Yes. This is the option that we considered but it would require lots of manual work if you need to re-arrange them and there are more items in the folder. Also the question is if it makes sense to use global numbering or numbering only for set / folder. It would be good to have something like ranking of user stories in backlog.

Thank you
    Vladimir

• 4.  Re: How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 04-18-2016 13:09
    This has been an ongoing problem for us.  We have yet to find a viable workaround that actually works. Not only do we see it as an issue at execution, we also see it as an issue when using the filter as a bases for sending out the results for review (the TC's are not in order within the review either).

• 5.  Re: How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 04-18-2016 13:16
    Hi Vladimir-

The "heading" field could work for this but I don't think it propagates through to the Test Runs.  We used a fairly hierarchical structure for our test cases, and have wanted something similar to your suggestion.  Moreover, we had some Cases which are largely setup tasks, with a number of  downstream tests which could be run in any order (but are fast compared to the setup).

I tend to think about it in terms of "make".  I've waned to create various types of hierarchies, e.g. chain or tree, and I think it would be sufficient to specify dependencies for anything I've wanted to do.

One complication I could see is in building Test Groups.  The Group creation might need to be aware of any dependencies, and perhaps offer the project manager a choice in how to handle them.

Bob

• 6.  Re: How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 04-18-2016 13:23
    Hi,
    I think that there can be some "code" that represents the order. JIRA is using something like this to represent the rank. Of course here it can be more complicated as you are using components or sets. But concatenation of component / set ID and the "code" could work fine.
    Vladimir

• 7.  RE: Re: How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 10-23-2018 09:22
    I completely agree with this request. In test runs items are, by default, sorted by their internal id, which is essentially meaningless. And it looks like this issue has been around for quite a long time now.

In our situation we are ordering items within a folder -- the folder is used to create the test plans. The test runs should maintain the order of the verification items in the folder.

The workaround of numbering items is, as other posters noted, error prone and not very maintainable. If this isn't resolved quickly we will be forced to use paper for official recording of our test runs (we are creating a FDA-regulated product and use Jama to produce reports for that purpose).

------------------------------
    Jeff Kotula
    Elucent Medical

• 8.  RE: How to keep order of test cases for execution?

Posted 10-23-2018 13:33
    We need this too.

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States