Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Spell check

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Spell check

Posted 03-23-2017 06:20

Hi,

In a recent user feedback survey within our company, several Jama users have noticed that spell check is no longer available within RTE (starting with 2015).  This was a common negative feedback item.  We are wondering, can you tell us why it was removed and if there are plans to bring it back? 

Thanks,
    Mary

------------------------------
    Mary Boyd
    VW Credit

• 2.  RE: Spell check

Posted 03-23-2017 07:39
    Just want to add, I did find this thread [Spell Check features in New Version of Jama] from July 2015 regarding spell check.  This is a response from Jama Knowledge Base:

We did upgrade the editor and it uses the browser spell check - so, it will highlight misspelled words and will allow you to add to dictionary

I'm not really sure what that means.  We don't see the spell check button in RTE tool bar...is spell check still available and we're just not seeing it?

Any insight you can provide would be helpful for me to give a respons to the users.

Thanks

Mary Boyd
    VW Credit

• 3.  RE: Spell check
    Best Answer

Posted 03-23-2017 09:59
    Hi Mary,

When we upgraded the rich text editor (we use a tool called CKEditor), we essentially removed the spell check button from the editor and began deferring to the browser's spell check. In the past users had to toggle the spell check button in the RTE and it didn't always work with some browsers and in all circumstances, so we thought it better to rely on browser's spell check.

We made this change in 2014.2—buried in the release notes you'll see "Spell-check is now on by default and leverages the browser spell-check dictionary (except for IE9, which uses a built-in plug-in)." So what Knowledge Base means is that users will have to add words to their browser dictionary, not a Jama dictionary.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 4.  RE: Spell check

Posted 03-24-2017 06:04
    Thanks Kristina.

Is there any instruction how to use the browser spellcheck and how to add words to the browser dictionary?

Mary

Mary Boyd
    VW Credit

• 5.  RE: Spell check

Posted 03-24-2017 06:10
    OK, spoke a little too soon.  I see how it's working in Chrome and Mozilla, but not in iE 11...which is our default browser here and most use this.  Is there something the user has to do to enable spell check for iE 11?

Mary Boyd
    VW Credit

• 6.  RE: Spell check

Posted 03-27-2017 09:50
    Hi Mary,

Depending on the version of Windows users are on, they might have to enable spellcheck. My Windows VM (8.1) had it on by default, but that doesn't mean much considering it's not imaged by an IT department or anything. It's definitely worth having the users check their settings.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 7.  RE: Spell check

Posted 03-27-2017 13:52
    That link was very helpful.  I was able to enable spellcheck in my iE and see that spellcheck does work with the Jama RTE in iE.  I will pass this on to the users.  Thank you so much!!!

Mary Boyd
    VW Credit