Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Manage project permissions for Test management

• 1.  Manage project permissions for Test management

Posted 09-25-2019 04:38
    Hi all,

I know it is possible to manage the project permissions by role for the several nodes in the explorer.
    Is it possible to do the same in the Test Plan area?
    I want to grant the right to "make test run current" only to a specific user role.
    Is it possible?

Best regards,

------------------------------
    Alessandro

• 2.  RE: Manage project permissions for Test management

Posted 09-25-2019 14:13
    Hi Alessandro

Permissions aren't flexible enough to grant specific roles like that. Test runs are a unique item type which does not have an option to set permissions. There may be a couple of options though that would have a similar effect. Have you looked at creating a user group? To give the Testers group the ability to make test runs current, you will need to give them create / edit permissions on the project.

You could also look at granting a single user a Test Runner License. This license type expands upon the abilities of previous license types (Stakeholder and Collaborator), allowing the user to edit defects outside of the test execution area and create test plans. When users do not need the full capabilities of a Creator license, this is a valuable alternative. They would still have read only access to the rest of the project, though.

If this is still something you're passionate about I could suggest 
    navigating over to Participate > Suggest Product Ideas. If the subject already exists on the Community, add your use case in the form of a comment. This will help our Community Manager and Product team gather use cases to better identify hot topics that need attention.

Regards

Godiva Hunt

• 3.  RE: Manage project permissions for Test management

Posted 09-26-2019 07:18
    Hi Godiva,

thanks for the answer.
    Some of my Test Runners  need the Create/Edit License.
    I am going to post the Product idea.

Regards,

Alessandro

• 4.  RE: Manage project permissions for Test management

Posted 11-25-2019 12:19
    This situation is pertinent to what I would like to do. I have external partners that I would like to have collaborate within a Project to do some testing, but without given them access to our testing data. While I can exclude them from seeing Test Cases, it does not look like I have any control over whether they can see Test Plans, Test Cycles or Test Runs. Is this correct?

Jamey Potechin
    Crestron Electronics
    Rockleigh NJ

• 5.  RE: Manage project permissions for Test management

Posted 11-25-2019 12:34
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 11-26-2019 09:32
    Jamey:

You are correct about the Test Center, although using some of the ideas Godiva mentioned might help. Another way to consider is to separate the data from the tests.  You could dedicate a special project for these exclusive tests and then give project level permissions to this particular group of users to that project. You could still relate these test items to the items in other projects (the items you want to keep away from this test group). That way the people who need to be "in the know" will be in the know and the people who don't will not be able to access the restricted items content. They might be able to see that there are items related there but, they will not be able to access them. Make sure you also give the "need to know" folks permissions to this Test Project also!

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR