Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

• 1.  Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 26 days ago

Hello - I have a need to import legacy test cases (in the hundreds) that are currently in a Word document.  Truth be told, they were physical documents that were scanned in, PDF'd and then converted to Word.

Is it remotely possible that I can format the document in such a way using styles that will allow Jama to understand how to map the fields correctly?  I've been working with it to no avail so I thought I'd check in with this group for guidance.

Here is an example of each test case:

Sample test case in Word

Thank you!

Vicki

------------------------------
    Vicki Smith
    CA

• 2.  RE: Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 25 days ago
    Vicki:

I am going to try to test this in my instance, would it be possible for you attach this example as a word doc. Please and thank you. You should be able to use the "Upload file" button above the "send" button in this thread when you reply back.

Thank you,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 25 days ago
    Edited by Vicki Smith 25 days ago
      |   view attached
    Absolutely! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thank you!!

Vicki Smith
    CA

Attachment(s)

docx
    Sample test cases.docx   16K 1 version

• 4.  RE: Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 24 days ago
    Hi Vicki!

While testing in my instance, I made the assumption that you want to import these old test cases into a Jama Test Case item type and that you are wanting to map the Steps you have in your chart to our Test Steps within our Test Case? I realized I didn't ask....

With this "assumption" in mind, I was not able to directly map the steps to the Test Steps field in the Test Case item type. I could import the whole item into the description and then I have to go back and copy paste the steps into the Steps fields. Like so:Our import wizard cannot directly map to "workflow fields" and the Test Center is pretty much complete with these type of fields, each one programmatically interconnected in some way.

Vicki, was this what you were trying to accomplish? If not please let me know.

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 24 days ago
    Hello and thank you, thank you!

Yes, I wanted it imported into a test case.  I can't tell from your screenshot but can you confirm that you were able to get the Name and Description fields populated, where:

Name = first line in import file
    Description = everything else

Is this the case?  I'd like to know how you did this if so as it's better than nothing ;)

However, ideally, we'd be able to port the table over to steps via the import process.  Do you suppose there's a way to convert the Word doc to Excel?  My understanding is that Excel is the preferred source file for importing.  Would you have any guidance in that regard?

Once again, thank you for your time and brainpower on this!

Vicki

Vicki Smith
    Illumina
    CA

• 6.  RE: Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 24 days ago
    Vicki:

Yes, because you have the first line the way you do, this is how it uploads into an item with me doing nothing but the default upload. (I didn't do anything with the mapping - just pressed "next" "next" ....) see below:
    So you are set up really well with your headings if you just want the "Name:" and everything else in the "Description:" field. I will take a closer look at Excel and get back to you on this thread! Just wanted to get this information out to you.

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 7.  RE: Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 22 days ago
    Thanks so much - you're right, I can use the formatting as is and just import the test cases.  This results in everything below the first line going into the description.

I was initially going to ask you if there was a way to do ANY kind of updates to the Jama database/tables using SQL but I have a feeling I know what the answer is:  NO.   Correct?

Vicki Smith
    Illumina
    CA

• 8.  RE: Mass import of test cases formatted in Word - doable using styles?

Posted 22 days ago
    Vicki:

So glad that worked for you. We really do not recommend doing any tweaking to the Jama database/tables, not supported.

Once you get set up and are looking for options to automate the Test Management process in general, I would look at our REST API. In our API cookbook, there are some useful use-cases for executing your tests with REST. This would be a much safer option.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR