Support

Expand all | Collapse all

User is unable to log into JAMA

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  User is unable to log into JAMA

Posted 11-13-2017 11:35
    Hello Support,

I have a JAMA user with what looks like a perfectly valid account that cannot log in.
    The account in question is michael.murray@olympus-ossa.com.

Our IT folks do not think that the issues is on our side.  Can you investigate & see if you can help resolve this issue?

He gets the following error:

An error occurred

An error occurred. Contact your administrator for more information.

Error details

• Activity ID: 087417ac-1fca-425f-7009-0080010000cd
    • Relying party: JAMA Software
    • Error time: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 19:28:00 GMT
    • Cookie: enabled
    • User agent string: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.89 Safari/537.36

------------------------------
    Steven Besser
    Olympus OSSA
    Waltham MA
    781-419-4811

• 2.  RE: User is unable to log into JAMA

Posted 11-13-2017 13:55
    HelloSteven,
    Could you make sure Michael is attempting to log in with the username michael.murray and not his full email address? Thank you.

Dana Medhaug
    Technical Support Engineer
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: User is unable to log into JAMA

Posted 11-14-2017 04:56
    Logging in that way does not appear to be an option since we are re-directed to an Olympus SAMLRequest page to log in to JAMA.  This page requires our full email address:  Please see below:

Is it possible to change his User Name to be his full eMail address?

Steven Besser
    Olympus OSSA
    Waltham MA
    781-419-4811

• 4.  RE: User is unable to log into JAMA

Posted 11-14-2017 16:30
    Steven,
    Is he the only user reporting this issue? Is it possible to get a screenshot of the error that is shown?

Dana Medhaug
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: User is unable to log into JAMA
    Best Answer

Posted 11-14-2017 16:56
    Hi Steven,

I'll chime in to clear things up.

For our hosted SSO implementation, we uniquely identify users by email, so Jama will complain if a login is attempted and there are multiple users that have the same email address set. I did see in our logs that a user michael.murray@olympus-ossa.com was in fact able to login very recently, and that presumably the user with the duplicate email had their email changed to a dummy one. Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Justin Phang
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 6.  RE: User is unable to log into JAMA

Posted 11-15-2017 04:45
    Hi Justin & Dana,

Michael is not the only user to experience this issue, but it is rare.  Two or maybe three instances so far.

Michael's problem seems to have started when he changed his Olympus password as we are required to do every so often.

The only way I know to correct the problem as a JAMA Admin is to Deactivate the problem account (I change the email address on the deactivated account to a dummy one), then create a new account from scratch.  I've started using the user's full email address as their JAMA "Username" to match what happens when during Trial account setup (not sure if this helps or not).  So far the problem account(s) have had only first.last as there JAMA Username(s).  Since I cannot edit account Username(s), I can't test if the Username(s) are the issue.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if/when it happens again if we can find the root cause.  I don't think we want to keep deactivating & re-creating accounts to fix this, so getting to the root cause will be important.

Regards,

Steven Besser
    Olympus OSSA
    Waltham MA
    781-419-4811

• 7.  RE: User is unable to log into JAMA

Posted 11-16-2017 04:37
    Hi Dana & Justin,

We have discovered the root cause of the user login issues:  Bad Browser Bookmark.

The user was using a browser bookmark that included the SAMLRequest=Token.  When he changed his Windows password, the token was no longer valid.

Solution, change the Browser Bookmark to ossa.jamacloud.com & then the Token is updated each time.

Regards,

Steven Besser
    Olympus OSSA
    Waltham MA
    781-419-4811

• 8.  RE: User is unable to log into JAMA

Posted 11-16-2017 11:08
    Hi Steven,
    Thank you for posting an update on this issue. Providing the solution to the problem is very helpful to others that may find themselves in this situation.

Dana Medhaug
    Jama Software