Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Permissions with Reuse & Sync

• 1.  Permissions with Reuse & Sync

Posted 08-08-2017 10:46
    Hello!

I have a container with specific items that we use as a product template.  The template's owners have Create/Edit permissions and everyone else has Read.  The intent is so the template owners use the Reuse/Sync feature to create copies and place them in a totally different container for users to tailor if needed.  The user permissions for the container that houses the newly created copies is Create/Edit for everyone.  I was expecting that any user could make edits to the copies, instead it is inheriting the template's permissions instead of the owning container.  So only the template owners are able to make edits to the copies.  Any suggestions on how I can get around that?

------------------------------
    Brenda McCourt
    General Atomics Aeronautical

• 2.  RE: Permissions with Reuse & Sync

Posted 08-08-2017 15:00
    hi Brenda,

Can you clarify the issue a bit for me? I would expect that if you Reuse an item (or multiple items) into a new container, the items would inherit permissions from the destination. The caveat to this is reusing containers (e.g. a template that is a folder with items inside). When containers (folders, sets, components) are reused, they will retain their original permissions regardless of the permissions set inside the destination. So I'm curious if you are reusing individual items, or containers of items.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Permissions with Reuse & Sync

Posted 08-09-2017 15:04
    Thanks for the reply Kristina!

I am in fact reusing an entire component with 6 different item sets.  Some of the sets will also have folders in them.  I'm guessing that per design, my new component will inherit the original permissions?  Any recommendations?  Should I make them create a new container then reuse each set individually from the original?

My issue is that only certain people are allowed to make changes to the original, but the assignee is supposed to tailor the copy.

Brenda McCourt

• 4.  RE: Permissions with Reuse & Sync

Posted 08-10-2017 16:52
    You're correct-by design, the new component will inherit the original permissions, because when containers are reused, the permissions follow. I'll look into this a bit further and see if I there is something else I can recommend.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Permissions with Reuse & Sync

Posted 08-11-2017 12:51
    @Brenda, I'm seeing a few different behaviors for this depending on Jama version. I know your org is using a few across different divisions. What Jama version are you actively using, and seeing this issue?

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 6.  RE: Permissions with Reuse & Sync

Posted 08-14-2017 09:53
    Hi Kristina,

Our production environment is 8.15.1.  We are planning on upgrading to 8.18 in the next 2-3 weeks.

Brenda McCourt

• 7.  RE: Permissions with Reuse & Sync

Posted 08-14-2017 15:04
    Hi Brenda,

I've been playing around with this on my own instance and realized I couldn't replicate the issue you're having-it seems that target permissions are enforced (assuming you're reusing the items from one project to another, not within the same project). This prompted me to check in with our Product team and they said the application is designed to obey the destination project's permissions. This is the opposite of what I said the other day (which was based on some information from an older ticket and does not appear to be correct). I looked over release notes and we haven't made any changes to functionality of Reuse that would explain why there is a difference.

So, then why are your users unable to edit items that were reused? I have some questions to get to the heart of that:

*are these items being reused between two different projects?
    *do users have Create/Edit permissions in the whole destination project, or just the target container?
    -when you look at the Permissions assigned to this particular target project AND the container, are those permissions inherited? e.g. below they are all true:

Kristina King
    Jama Software