Support

Expand all | Collapse all

View for executed test plans

• 1.  View for executed test plans

Posted 10-04-2018 01:50
    Hello,
    today I am wondering about this: Let's assume that our project has i.e. 1000 test cases and they are executed in 100 test plans. How can we keep track what which things we have tested and which are still to be tested? The problem is that we are using certain test cases many times and certain are used only once.
    What kind of methods and possibilities are there to follow up progress?

------------------------------
    Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland

• 2.  RE: View for executed test plans

Posted 10-09-2018 19:50
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 10-09-2018 20:01
    Hi Mari:

I am not sure how you have your Test Plan organized but, I would suggest utilizing making Test Groups which you can assign Test Cases to like this:

Then you can click on the Test Run View and see the Execution date, and Status cross referenced with the Test group:

You can configure the view under the Views>Configure View dropdown. Make sure Test Group, Status and Execution Date is in the view. Mari, do you think this could help?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: View for executed test plans

Posted 10-10-2018 04:47
    Thank you for your effort Chloe :) Your idea is good, but this time I'm looking for a way to get a picture of progress on a larger scale. I assume that some report would be a good solution, but I don't figure out what kind of report that would be. I know there are widgets for that too, but not the answer I am looking for right now.

But I keep thinking about this and let you know, if I can explain my need better.

Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland

• 4.  RE: View for executed test plans

Posted 10-10-2018 14:50
    Mari:

Thank you for the clarification. I think you can utilize a filter for this. I understand that you are reusing Test Runs but, are you utilizing different Test Cycles as well? This would help you to keep track of the different results of the same Test Runs done at different times. Otherwise, you are redoing the same Test Run instance and the data from past Test Runs is lost. We want to make sure that each Test Run has it's own instance captured in Jama, so that we can compare and contrast against the same Test Run performed later. We can use separate Test Cycles to do this.

So here I have Test Cycle "One":
    And here within the same Test Plan I have Test Cycle "Two" - you can see the separate results to the same Test Runs:
    So, you only run a group of Test Runs once per Cycle, once that Test Cycle is done you make another Cycle. You can then make a filter which captures all the Test Runs per whichever cycle(s) you are wanting to compare. Then you will be able to compare similar Test Runs performed across different Test Cycles - a more big picture view.

Here is the Advanced Filter I did to capture the Test Runs in the Test Cycles I wanted to analyze:

And here are the sortable results:

Mari: you could put these filter results in a Dashboard Widget to keep track. You would have to update the Filter to pull the current Test Cycles you are tracking. Hope this might be a better solution?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: View for executed test plans

Posted 10-11-2018 01:49
    Thank you again Chloe! I will benefit from your advice, but I need to clarify that we are going to use same test cases multiple times. And I assume that it is not possible to use same test case multiple times per test plan aside from cycles. We need to use cycles for something else.

Actually I think I figured out a nice way to use filter for this one, so thanks for your effort!

Mari Leipola
    Project assistant
    Finland

• 6.  RE: View for executed test plans

Posted 10-11-2018 12:00
    Mari:

Thanks for the clarification, looking closer, I seem to use Test Runs and Test Cases interchangeably here, good catch! Ill go back and edit.

I'm glad the Community could help you find your solution!

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software