Support

Expand all | Collapse all

I'm not able to open a item as a single item for editing. I can only edit the item via the list view.

• 1.  I'm not able to open a item as a single item for editing. I can only edit the item via the list view.

Posted 08-16-2018 11:08
    and  I'm not able to remove a relationship existing relationships from item. I can add new item and remove it again but not the 4 items which have been related in the past.

It is not locked but it is connected to 3 users.

------------------------------
    Rajmohan Rajeswaran Project Lead
    Aura lights
    Chennai

• 2.  RE: I'm not able to open a item as a single item for editing. I can only edit the item via the list view.

Posted 08-16-2018 18:14
    Rajmohan:

Thank you for your question. Did you also create the 4 items which were already related? Being able to create and break relationships between items is dependent on what your permissions are to both items in question. If you look at this page of the User Help guide: Access Permissions and Relationships, it says that in order to delete a relationship between two items you must be granted both Read/Write permissions for both items. That would be the first thing I would check.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: I'm not able to open a item as a single item for editing. I can only edit the item via the list view.

Posted 08-17-2018 07:46
    Hi Chloe,

what is the reason that Jama has decided to restrict the deletion of traces between items where only one side is editable?
    This actually does not make sense, because when considering the "real world" then it would perfectly make sense for example to the following setup:

Consider the traceability between a Specification and a Test item. You have people you are responsible for creating and editing the specifications and you have other people who are responsible for the creation of the corresponding test cases. Both parties would be able to create the relationships (though this would probably be done by the Test-people), which is fine. But: When for example it comes to refactoring of tests you won't have anybody of the responsibles to be able to delete an exsting relationship.

Also from a common point of view I consider it as good design when you allow people to undo actions they are allowed to do - so for this example: If you allow people to created relationships between a Readable and a Writeable item, then you should also allow them to remove the relationship also.

Can you provide us with more background, why Jama has decided to not allow this?

Thank you,
    Anna

Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG

• 4.  RE: I'm not able to open a item as a single item for editing. I can only edit the item via the list view.

Posted 08-17-2018 13:19
    Hi Anna:

Thank you for your response here. Jama doesn't decide who in your organization has permissions, your Organizational Administrator does. Here is a link from the User Guide describing the role: Organizational Administrator Role in Jama. This role, within your org, is empowered to manage and configure your; workflow, content, collaboration, and integrations and can tailor this to your companies needs.

What I love about the Jama software platform for our customers is the fact that it is so configurable and scaleable to so many possible use cases. The use case you are describing is a possible example where your Organizational Administrator might want to give Read/Write permissions to all the items in all the projects to every team member. It all depends on your needs. The permission structure is complex but, it is very much in your control how you configure it.

Because the software workflow, permissions, roles are all configurable - this creates usability and scalability from smaller collaborative groups to  larger more expansive ones who might have several project teams in multiple different locations with items all "related" and traceable upstream and downstream. Jama can grow with you. For example: if you have one team in Europe and the other in the US, the Organizational Admin might not want every Jama user to have the ability to break a relationship to an item as this could cause a potentially bad disruption to the product development communication flow, potentially causing unnecessary defects and/or delays. Again, this is entirely configurable, per your particular business needs.

If your org has any new variables to consider in your product development workflow and would like Jama's assistance to help reconfigure your instance to consider these new needs please feel free to reach out to your Account Manager who will be able to connect you to our Professional Services team.

Best,

Chloe Elliott