Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Random returns when exporting template

• 1.  Random returns when exporting template

Posted 07-01-2021 13:27
    Hi there,
    I am working on exporting RIDs using the description and rationale as two of the fields I'm pulling, and when I export to word using a custom template, it consistently puts in extra return carriages after specific RIDs (always the same ones). I've gone in and checked those RIDs within JAMA and have found nothing that would contribute to this? Would gladly accept any suggestions. This isn't a huge issue but would like a bit more uniformity for all the RIDs.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Carter Morrill

• 2.  RE: Random returns when exporting template

Posted 07-01-2021 13:35

Hi Carter - 

What type of custom report is this? Also, how did you fill out those fields? Is there a chance the fields themselves have extra characters in them? This could be the case if their contents were either copy/pasted from somewhere else or imported from another document.

Can you navigate to one of the fields showing extra returns and expose the source code? I am curious to know whether the fields themselves contain the extra information. Example: 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Random returns when exporting template

Posted 07-01-2021 13:46
    Hi Decoteau,
    This is a custom word template export using mail merge fields using the code below.
    Here is the source code, I've looked to see if there are any extra characters but can't see any.

Thanks

Carter Morrill

• 4.  RE: Random returns when exporting template

Posted 07-01-2021 14:59

Hi Carter,

Thanks for the additional information. 

I think it'd help us to see the custom template and a screenshot of the output/issue with the extra carriages. If you'd prefer to share that information privately, rather than here in the Community, we can move this conversation to a Support ticket (please note, one of your organization's Named Support Contact must open the ticket.)

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 5.  RE: Random returns when exporting template

Posted 07-02-2021 12:49

Here is the exported template showing an example of the extra carriages. The two red X are the unintended returns, while the green is one that I put in on purpose.

Carter Morrill

• 6.  RE: Random returns when exporting template

Posted 07-06-2021 16:25

Hi Carter,

Thank you for your patience while I looked into this further. I learned that the behavior you're seeing is a defect: SOS-DEF-547. The issue itself is that the default carriage return is using the <p> HTML tag, which defines a paragraph and creates some space before and after itself.

This issue has been picked up by our Product team to be fixed alongside other improvements planned for Excel and Word exports.

You can check future release notes for this ID to see if this bug has been fixed.

Please reach out with any questions. 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR