Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Indicate a Defect as a Duplicate

• 1.  Indicate a Defect as a Duplicate

Posted 24 days ago
    Hello,
    I am curious as to what the best practice is for managing multiple defects that report the same bug (ie. duplicate defects). I am thinking we will define a new end stated, similar to closed, as "Duplicate". Ideally we'd be able to set a field to indicate the duplicated record as mandatory, but I as far I know there is not a way to make fields dynamically mandatory.

The main question is should I define an up and downstream relationship as "Duplicate" or should I just use a field on the form to indicate as such (i.e. an 'item of type' filed referencing other defects).

What do other people do to track multiple defects reported on the same bug?

Thank you
    Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 2.  RE: Indicate a Defect as a Duplicate

Posted 21 days ago
    Anyone? Anyone have any guidance??

Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 3.  RE: Indicate a Defect as a Duplicate

Posted 21 days ago
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 21 days ago
    Hi Jason!

Ok, so this is a matter of preference, opinion and in relation to everything else you have configured in your Jama instance....

I am a visual person so, I would prefer going the relationship route. Dedicating the downstream relationship to duplicates, if you can, would be the route I would go. Because you can then easily see the duplicates when looking in the item in the Relationship widget, all of your duplicates will be compiled in the downstream relationships. And it will show up nicely in the TraceView.

I would also edit in the word "duplicate" somewhere in the name or description possibly, so that it was just doubly obvious to anyone that this is what it is. Or some sort of custom pick-list where you can change it to a "duplicate defect". That way you can easily make an Advanced Filter looking for the "duplicate defect" status. Many ways you can go about this.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR