Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Using Test Step instead of Test Cases when reporting/collecting metrics

• 1.  Using Test Step instead of Test Cases when reporting/collecting metrics

Posted 29 days ago
    When we are trying to determine the amount of effort needed to accomplish the work associated with a Test Plan or Release, Jama seems to go down to the test case level as the lowest depth.  However, since the number of Test Steps will be different for every test case, knowing the number of actual Test Steps to be executed would be a better way of reporting how much more work is needed.

For instance, if 10 Test Case with 1 Test Step per case needs to be executed, each Test Case and Test Step is 10% of the effort needed to complete the work.  However, if 5 of those Test Cases have 10 Test Steps and the other 5 have 50 Test Steps, completing the first 5 Test Cases would be 50% of the Test Cases executed but only 17% of the Test Steps executed.

I have seen in the releases tab, as well as in the Explorer tab, that the system can display the number of Steps in the Test Case list but is there a way to have this data show up in the Dashboard and/or Reports in places that Test Case information currently displays?  Or is there a way to display the Test Case results in a way that it is easily retrieved (say for daily execution status - today we executed 45 Test Steps).  Could we do a query or create a report to show the status that we could then move to another method of displaying status (burn down chart, etc.)?

------------------------------
    Micheal Schoonbaert
    UBC Test Analyst

• 2.  RE: Using Test Step instead of Test Cases when reporting/collecting metrics

Posted 25 days ago
    Micheal:

Thank you for posting this, your business use-case is very clear here: using the progress of Steps to guide your situational awareness in your testing environment. Our current mechanism for capturing this data is with reporting. In this article outlining our Community Reports, you will see reports which pull out the Test Center information. I would look at the top three Velocity reports in this article. This article also gives instructions on how to use these reports in your instance, please note:

If you have a On-Prem/Self Hosted instance, you can upload these reports yourself.
    If you have a Cloud instance, you will need to make a ticket with Support to have us upload the report for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Using Test Step instead of Test Cases when reporting/collecting metrics

Posted 25 days ago

Chloe:

Thanks for the update to my support request.  I believe we have our own self-hosted/On-Prem system but I currently don't have Admin access.  I will forward this to the next level up in my org who I believe has Admin/Reporting rights and see if they can do this.  I'll get back to you if this solves our issue and specifically how, if it did.

Thanks,

Micheal S.

• 4.  RE: Using Test Step instead of Test Cases when reporting/collecting metrics

Posted 25 days ago
    Excellent Micheal, I will be interested to hear back!

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Using Test Step instead of Test Cases when reporting/collecting metrics

Posted 11 days ago
    Well, we managed to use the script that you mentioned and retrieved the list of test steps within test cases including status.  This is now allowing us to document the status of the testing by test step as well as by test case.

Thanks for the assistance!

Micheal Schoonbaert

• 6.  RE: Using Test Step instead of Test Cases when reporting/collecting metrics

Posted 11 days ago
    Micheal:

Thank you for circling back, this is great to hear!

Cheers!

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR