Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to find items that are under review?

• 1.  Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 11 days ago
    Hello all,

I am looking for ways to see if an item is under review, preferably using a filter or a list view, without having to browse each active review. Is there a way to do this?

Any suggestions are welcome

------------------------------
    dimi

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 10 days ago
    Edited by Amanda 10 days ago
    Hello dimi,

Thank you for reaching out. I have a couple of recommendations you can try.
    1. It's still manual, but you can click on the version widget/tab, allowing you to verify items under review. 
    You may also try Activities, searching for 'review.'

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Amanda Jennewein She/Her
    Manager, Customer Support
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi all,
    my solution is to write a context sensitive report (velocity).
    In such a way you can have a table showing the reviews for a list of items (in my case an advanced filter).
    • Get the revies for a project
    • loop over the items from the context (input)
    • check if the item is in one of the revisions of the retrieved reviews
    • if the case print what you want to show
    Best,
    Alessandro

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 6 days ago
    Hi Amanda,

If you have no overview whether some items are already part of a review when you view them in the list view, how can you guarantee that the same item is not simultaneously in multiple reviews? Isn't that a really big issue for everyone using reviews in Jama?

dimi

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 7 days ago
    This ideation entry proposes a solution to this type of problem.

Daniel March
    Extreme Engineering Solutions, Inc.

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 6 days ago

Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for your comment.
    I was thinking that the ideation entry you posted is very useful BUT still has the perspective of reviews -> items in review.
    Whereas I need to have item --> (other item fields), review name, review status (in progress/finalized). And a project list view could provide that info so that you know what items are under review or not.  Its so fundamental and lacking info that I am very puzzled that no-one asks for it. 

Best regards

dimi

• 7.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 6 days ago
    Edited by Amanda 6 days ago
    Thank you all for jumping in to support and share your recommended work arounds. I've been working across Jama to capture any other known work arounds for this question/issue. I've also highlighted other recommendations provided throughout this thread.

*This is usually tracked via status field which can be filtered. Otherwise you can do this by creating a velocity report. Ideally the item would be transitioned to a particular status when it goes through a review (using review workflow or manually by the moderator).
    Previously recommended workarounds:
    1. It's still manual, but you can click on the version widget/tab, allowing you to verify items under review.
    2. You may also try Activities, searching for 'review.
    3. Write a context sensitive report (velocity). - Alessandro
    In such a way you can have a table showing the reviews for a list of items (in my case an advanced filter).
    • Get the reviews for a project
    • loop over the items from the context (input)
    • check if the item is in one of the revisions of the retrieved reviews
    • if the case print what you want to show
    I want to encourage you to submit a Product Feature Request using our Ideation module, as the linked card is not quite what you are asking for. Others who would benefit from this request could vote to create higher-level visibility with our Product Team, including those on this thread.

Amanda Jennewein She/He
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 8.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 6 days ago
    I see. That is a slightly different need. You could probably achieve that by adding a review status picklist field to your item types and then using workflows to transition that status field.

Daniel

• 9.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 6 days ago
    Hi Daniel,
    Indeed we could do that. But we are trying to minimize fields requiring manual input as they become impossible to trust after a while. I think that we shouldn't be asked to manually fill info that Jama itself can populate. You can't even make filters to pull that info. Incredible.

dimi

• 10.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 6 days ago

Amanda,
    Thank you for your summary.
    I must emphasize however that the problem I am having is to be able to distinguish items that
    1. have been under a review that was finalized
    2. are currently under a review, so that they don't become part of another review at the same time.
    3. have never been reviewed

Having workarounds relying on users changing a custom item field is not an option due to the sheer amount of errors that can occur in projects with thousands of items.
    Having workarounds relying on automated field change from a review are not covering case 2 above since that change occurs only when an (approval) review is finalized.

I am all for a Product Feature Requests but am very concerned about the time they take to implement - maybe years. The lack of support for such review information from the UI or REST API support is mind blowing.

Velocity report development isn't a viable option either for us that work with a Cloud instance.
    Very costly for one, but also not providing a usable workflow: you use the report to generate a document from which you have to manually hand-pick items for selection in the Jama UI. Do you see the usability problem with this approach?

dimi

• 11.  RE: Is there a way to find items that are under review?

Posted 6 days ago
    Edited by Amanda 6 days ago
    Thank you for your response and further explanation, dimi.

Yes, I do see the usability problem to this approach and understand the challenges it poses to you and your team, in addition to all other Jama users. I'm continuing to work internally with our Product Team to further explore alternative future in-product solutions and have provided this direct feedback. They still strongly encourage you to submit this feedback/idea in Ideation, so we can gain traction as multiple users see the value in this being added to our Product RoadMap.
    Amanda Jennewein She/Her
    Jama Software
    Portland OR