Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

• 1.  Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

Posted 06-01-2020 09:00
      |   view attached
    I have successfully used the roundtrip export and import mechanism for the test steps for Test Case items many times in the past.  Recently, I have come across an issue where I get an error upon import indicating that I have duplicated API IDs (snapshot of error attached).  To resolve the issue, I have to go to my spreadsheet, unhide the API IDs column and delete the content in that column for all except the first row in order to make the import work successfully.  I don't believe I am doing anything differently than I have in the past.  Is this a new issue or am I possibly doing something different than what I've done in the past?

------------------------------
    Gulam Emadi

• 2.  RE: Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

Posted 06-01-2020 11:00
    Gulam:

To better assist, could you confirm which version of Jama you are using?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

Posted 06-01-2020 11:05
    Hi Chloe,

Sorry, I forgot to specify that.  We are using the web-based version, so it is the latest release (as of this morning).  I first noticed this problem a few weeks back.

Thanks,
    Gulam

Gulam Emadi

• 4.  RE: Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

Posted 06-02-2020 07:30
    Gulam:

Thank you for your patience as I double checked this. You are running into an added messaging we have put into the 8.50 Cloud release, SOS-DEF-4678 letting users know that they have duplicated API rows. You were already doing the correct next steps, please carry on.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

Posted 06-02-2020 09:18
    Hi Chloe,

Thank you for checking and getting back to me.  It's good to know I'm not doing something wrong.  My issue was less about the message that was popping up, and more about the fact that I need to go delete those API IDs.  I used to be able to export a test case, edit the file as needed (being sure to copy the contents of all hidden columns when adding rows), and then re-import without any additional manipulation of the file.  Now I need to go unhide and then delete the contents of the API ID column.  Is there any workaround for having to do this latter step, or is that just the expected behavior going forward?  Note that I do not have "API ID" selected as one of the fields for my Reading or List views, but I'm guessing it is automatically exported when using the "Excel Export for Roundtrip" Office Template.

I have a path going forward, but just want to understand whether this behavior overall is as expected and desired by the Jama team.

Thanks

Gulam Emadi

• 6.  RE: Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

Posted 06-02-2020 11:47
    Gulam:

Great question, are you copying entire rows to generate more items in round-trip? If so, we are thinking you can un-hide the API-ID column, export, and just delete the copied API-IDs (leave them blank), but leave the originals as they are. Then during the import Jama Connect will generate new API-IDs for those new items.

Hope this helps,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 7.  RE: Duplicate API ID issue with Excel roundtrip import

Posted 06-02-2020 12:18
    The export is for a single item (a test case type item).  I'm not trying to create new items, but instead am modifying test steps (adding, removing, editing) on the single test case.  If I export a test case that has multiple pre-existing test steps (which is a common use case), the exported file already contains the duplicated API IDs.  If I then try to re-import that exported file, without even touching the exported file at all, I get a failure.  That doesn't seem like the expected behavior.

Gulam Emadi