Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Folder or item/requirement header or title

• 1.  Folder or item/requirement header or title

Posted 07-07-2017 12:00
    I ask pardon in advance as I feel fairly certain this subject has been addressed prior (wouldn't be surprised if I were involved somewhere along the way) but I can't seem to find it now.

When I create sub-items to a title/summary/header requirement, I establish a [desired] kind of hierarchy,  but since that 'header' may not actually be a requirement per se, I don't want to require traceability to/coverage of it as I would other items, and in fact at times it's better to prevent tracing to it.  I'd also rather not have Review Center reviewers/approvers have to approve (or not)  a header and I'd like to avoid holes in my traceability matrix / coverage view because of it. I could avoid the issue by using a folder instead but since I do want to keep that header tied to it's sub-items (along with its 'relative' numbering), and a folder is more a simple bag of items, that's not always appropriate.  One way I've considered addressing this is by creating a special field where I'd identity headers as such, then include or exclude them, for whatever purpose, based on that field but this seems too much of a work-around.  I'm interested in learning how other 'traceability obsessed' (ahem, 'appreciattive') requirements managers address this, or more broadly, best practices relative to use of folders vice header/title requirements..

------------------------------
    Steve

• 2.  RE: Folder or item/requirement header or title

Posted 07-13-2017 14:33
    Hey Steve,

Sadly it's looking like tumbleweeds here from other customers. I checked internally and don't have a better suggestion for you; Zeb thought you answered the question for yourself - using a folder would allow you "to organize the requirements and serve as a "header" in any export. It would also prevent the issue of seeing "header" information in trace/gap analysis." I'm sorry we don't have a silver bullet.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Folder or item/requirement header or title

Posted 07-14-2017 08:45
    ​I actually had a similar question come up today- and we did decide to use folders and filter those out.  However, on doing that, we found it made it really difficult for the reviewer to understand the context around the requirement - the folder label actually had served as a means to keep the context visible.  A suggestion for a future revision - would it be possible to add a setting that makes certain items (like folders, or requirements acting as headers) not have to be approved in the review center, but still visible?  This would allow us to keep the context in place for reviewers, but not make them approve a folder or header label (which seems odd to them).

Heather Smith

• 4.  RE: Folder or item/requirement header or title

Posted 07-14-2017 16:36
    Heather, thanks for the comment. I agree that it would make the Review Center a more powerful tool if users could configure what actually needs approval vs. what appears only for context. While you can use custom fields for that information, it is cumbersome to have to populate something in a field that is already present contextually via hierarchy.

Kristina King
    Jama Software