Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Relationships

• 1.  Relationships

Posted 10-02-2018 09:08

Hello!  :) 

Is there a way to enforce coverage for a requirement that MUST have one or more types of downstream items, but not necessarily both types?  We currently have two types of categories (UI and Technical).  Each requirement will have at least one of those types, but may not necessarily have both.

Any help is appreciated!

------------------------------
    RB

• 2.  RE: Relationships

Posted 10-02-2018 17:37
    Hi Richard:

I am understanding from your post that you have a Requirement which you need to have an either/or downstream relationship with at least one of the two options (UI and Technical in your case). Sounds like these Requirements could have both of these options as downstream relationships if applicable in the use-case?

I consulted with our experts here at Jama and we cannot use the Workflows to make an either/or downstream relationships but, they suggested a good alternative where you can monitor these relationships using; an Advanced Filter, and the "Filter Results" widget in your dashboard.

1. When you are setting up your relationship rules you will want to configure the downstream items as "not for coverage" like so:

In this example we have the item type Stakeholder Requirement with two downstream (optional) items: System Requirement and Subsystem Requirement.

2. Next we want to make the Advanced Filter to show us the Stakeholder Requirements who do NOT have any downstream relationships to either System Requirements or Subsystem Requirements:
    the embedded filters will target the two downstream options:

using the condition of "Name is not empty" works for pulling all the items of the type you are targeting because most likely, everything has a name.

Same thing for the other embedded filter for the other item.

Now we have a filter which will pull out all the System Requirements which do not have a downstream relationship with a Subsystem Requirement or a System Requirement. Name this filter and save.

3. We are going to go to the Dashboard and click on "Add Widget". Double click on the "Filter Results" widget and then add in your Advanced filter we just made.

4. Look in your Dashboard:

Here are my two Requirements which do not have any downstream items to the two items specified, as evidenced from this Traceview:

You end up with a targeted requirement to-do list.

Richard, let me know if this works for you.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software