Support

Expand all | Collapse all

JAMA Import

• 1.  JAMA Import

Posted 07-05-2017 12:06
    Hi,
    Im trying to import some requirements that I have on an existing excel sheet (20 Columns total) but I cant seem to be able to mapp all the excel requirements to what JAMA has on the import wizard.  I have some specific questions below.
    1) Is there a way I can bring all my existing columns from excel to JAMA? or do I need to mapp every column of the excel sheet to what JAMA offers (one by one)?
    2) Can I bring columns (headings) from excel to JAMA without mapping them first? Basically, I want to have specific names on the excel headings and import them directly to JAMA. Is this possible?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Leo Villada

• 2.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-05-2017 15:27
    Hi Leo,

Both of these answers are no. You must map the columns in Excel to existing Jama fields; there is no way to import all of the columns unless they all have associated fields. You can import tables in Word documents as tables into Jama, but Excel sheets can be imported only as groups of items.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-06-2017 04:49
    Thank you very much.

Leo Villada

• 4.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-06-2017 10:58
    How would you group the columns into items for export?

Alicia Hilton
    SPAWAR Atlantic
    North Charleston SC

• 5.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-06-2017 13:36
    @Alicia, I'm not quite sure what you mean about grouping columns into items for export. Are you wondering how to export only specific fields in items? What are you looking to have exported?

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 6.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-07-2017 04:55
    @Kristina, you introduced the term group in 2. RE

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG

• 7.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-07-2017 06:23
    You stated that "You can import tables in Word documents as tables into Jama, but Excel sheets can be imported only as groups of items."  - How is this done?

Alicia Hilton

• 8.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-07-2017 11:18
    Hi Alicia,
    Sorry about that; you had followed that statement of mine about imports with a question about exporting, so I was not on the same page as you. As far as "You can import tables in Word documents as tables into Jama, but Excel sheets can be imported only as groups of items" goes, those links should show you what you need.

The gist of it is, Word documents can be imported so that each table is in its own item; is in the description of its own item; or each row is imported as an item. Excel import doesn't allow you to choose how you import the items; it will only import each row as its own item. So when I say "groups of items," I mean that a single excel sheet can be imported only as many items (and that they can be hierarchically designated by color or indent), but you cannot import an excel sheet as a table. Word has more flexibility because you can import a single table as an item, as a table in a description, or as multiple items. The Ask Jama session Adrian presented helps clarify a lot about importing and exporting.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 9.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-06-2017 11:25
    Hi,
    Another really quick question. I was wondering if is possible for me to change the name on the heading columns in JAMA.

For example, can I change the name on the (NAME) heading?  if so, how can I do that.
    Thank you very much for your help.

Leo Villada

• 10.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-06-2017 13:35
    Hi Leo,

These are the labels for fields that are configured by an organization admin. Users are not able to customize them on the front end.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 11.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-07-2017 06:00

Good morning,

I have another quick question.

Are the fields on the excel import wizard the only fields available to choose from? is this limited by the JAMA tool?  

The problem we are having is that our excel sheet has more columns than the available fields on JAMA and we don't want to lose any information once we import the data to JAMA.

Thanks

Leo Villada

• 12.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-07-2017 11:01
    Yes, you can map only to the available fields in the import wizard. Your org admin would need to add additional fields to the item type if you want to import more columns of data.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 13.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-11-2017 06:00
    Hi,
    I understand that my organization admin can add more columns (fields)  to JAMA is this correct? how can they do that?  When I talked to them it looks like that they dont have that capability or not sure how to add this fields.
    For example, Im trying to import the following:
    Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Column5 .... coulmn20

I can easily mapp the first 12 but I dont have anything to mapp the reminder 8 while using the import Wizard. I dont want to lose this data.  What can we do in this case????

Thank you

Leo Villada

• 14.  RE: JAMA Import

Posted 07-11-2017 10:54
    Leo, adding new fields is something that needs to be done in the admin panel (Admin > Item Types > Requirement > Config). Here is a help guide link that describes configuring fields: http://help.jamasoftware.com/modifying_fields.htm?zoom_highlightsub=configure%2Bfield

Kristina King
    Jama Software