Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Import from word

• 1.  Import from word

Posted 02-11-2020 07:43
    Edited by Eric Flachbart 02-11-2020 09:12
    I have imported succesfully several existing requirements and design descriptions all based in word into our installation.

One particular word doc does not import. I get an error "Cannot read property 'createChild; of null (undefined)

I am not quite sure what that is telling me.

At the moment I am using the IGNORESECTION feature to comment out part of the doc to try and find the offending item.

SOLVED:  The system is quite slow and I was clicking submit before it  completed verifying the first item. Why it allows that in the first place is unclear.

------------------------------
    Eric Flachbart
    Infusion Analytics
    Riverview FL

• 2.  RE: Import from word

Posted 02-11-2020 12:46
    Hi Eric,

Thank you for the update! I see that you have resolved this issue. However, please feel free to reach out if issues with importing items pops up again.

Best,

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Import from word

Posted 02-12-2020 03:43
    We run I to this as well at times. 
    The import wizard allows to click next before the document is fully uploaded. The larger the document to more likely the issue is to happen and there isn't any clear indication from Jama that the file is still being uploaded. 
    In Chrome at least there is a small upload George's bar at the bottom left that can serve as indication. 
    I think this should be logged as a defect to prevent clicking next before the system is ready. 

--

Sven Schmidberger

Compliance Officer

• 4.  RE: Import from word

Posted 02-12-2020 13:23
    Sven and Eric:

Interesting note about the "size" of the document and this issue. To help me attempt to recreate this issue and log it, could you give me and idea of how large of a Word doc you importing when you notice this?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Import from word

Posted 02-12-2020 13:32
    I recently noticed this with a 15 MB docx file. 

--

Sven Schmidberger

Compliance Officer

• 6.  RE: Import from word

Posted 02-12-2020 13:36
    I'll get the size of the word doc tomorrow, and any other information that I can. 

I've come to the conclusion that rich text editing in Jama is slow and not always intuitive. But working in word and importing works well. As long as you don't click too fast. 

This is a great and powerful sw package but I urge you to do some human factors work with real users.  

• 7.  RE: Import from word

Posted 02-12-2020 13:41
    Chloe

The word doc is just under 1mb. 

Eric

• 8.  RE: Import from word

Posted 02-21-2020 08:07
    Eric and Sven:

I have been testing this in my own instance and could not recreate this behavior. Do either of you have any screencasts and/or recordings of said behavior? If so, for privacy reasons, this would be a good thing to report in a secure Support ticket for us to take a closer look at.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR