Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Generating review from baseline and modified items

• 1.  Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi - I think this is probably a common use-case, but I'm not clear how to do this in Jama. I have a set of items that were reviewed and approved. Since then, we have made a number of changes to a subset of these items, in prep for the next release cycle. I would like to generate a review of just the changed items. Further, I would like the review to show what's changed since the items were approved.

I could re-open the previous review, however the scope of this review was much greater, and it would cause confusion in the reviewers. I could also use the "Baseline Compared to Current" report, manually filtered to include just the subset of items. However this cannot be reviewed using Jama's review capability, neither does it color the changes making comparison of complex items very difficult. Each reviewer would manually have to view each item's version history to see the changes. This would not be acceptable for most reviewers.

Ideally I would like to use a filter to select all items present in a named baseline that have since been modified, and use the filter to launch a new review. I don't see any such capability. Can anyone advise how I can use Jama's review capabilities for this use-case?

Thanks
    Peter

v8.56.2 on-prem

------------------------------
    Peter Hall
    ON Semiconductor

• 2.  RE: Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 14 days ago
    Good point Peter,

we have the same issue and it is a lot of work for us to select items from the baseline comparison report.
    We normally review all of them (send for review the same folder or filter) and based on the baseline comparison we set as approved the unchanged items in the first revision performed by the only review moderator.

A possible solution would be to set an advanced filter with the option (not) belong to baseline. This option do not exist in my knowledge

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG

• 3.  RE: Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 14 days ago
    You could change an item's review status (eg. to Draft from Approved) when you modify Items that were already Approved.
    Wouldn't that suffice to know what changed and put those forward for extra review?

dimi

• 4.  RE: Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 7 days ago
    Its quite some time ago that I created that request https://community.jamasoftware.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=7&MID=254&CommunityKey=4eac21f6-24d1-4f1e-92bd-76860b52af2c&tab=digestviewer#bm4a78f7fb-83ff-48b8-a890-02349cfff9a2

This would do the job, have a fiter with a result set showing items not reviewed in the current version and use that as a starting point for a review.

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG

• 5.  RE: Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 14 days ago
    Good point Dimi,
    you can do it but it is too limiting in my case ... we have several informal reviews for individual items at the beginning of the project and at the end phase we have a more formal review including the previously informally reviewed items. I cannot trust to the status field/workflow. The baseline is the driving criteria for me ...
    Best,
    Alessandro

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG

• 6.  RE: Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 14 days ago
    Thank you to all who shared input on this thread!

I want to jump in and share this video that talks about how to set up a rolling review in Jama Connect as this may help with your use case.

Please let me know if this is helpful or if you have questions! 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 7.  RE: Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 13 days ago
    Thanks Dimi - yes, the workflow state identifies which items have changed. I can also use the last-modification date to discover those that have changed since the baseline was created. However, I want the Jama review to show the changes since the baseline, so that these can be approved. If each reviewer is required to manually locate each item, view its version history, then select the appropriate versions in order to view the changes, I suspect I will get many complaints :-(

Thanks Decoteau - yes, we use rolling reviews. A rolling review would work well if the review was setup prior to the items being modified. However in my case, we're updating approved items in prep for the next release cycle. No rolling review was created, nor did we know exactly which items would be modified. Next time I will consider creating a 'placeholder' review of the baselined items prior to applying the changes (a review with no approvers/reviewers). I can then re-issue the review when the changes are applied and Jama will show the changes. Thanks for the tip! :-)

Peter

Peter Hall
    onsemi

• 8.  RE: Generating review from baseline and modified items

Posted 13 days ago
    Peter,
    In case I wasn't clear, I was proposing to use the item status to select items that have changed since a baseline and then send only those items for review, not all items. I am not sure if that helps
    Best regards

dimi