Support

• 1.  User Groups per Instance or Per Project

Posted 10-29-2021 12:57

Hello,
    How do most people structure their user groups? Do you do specific groups per project? Per site? Per role. We have initially done per role and the groups had access to all projects, except for some minor exceptions. We are running into some issues with this model, particularly around the reuse option where people get confused seeing all other resused items when looking at synced items . We are looking to possibly move to user group per role and per project. So we would have individual group per project like this:

Product Owner - ProjectX
    Product Owner - ProjectY
    Product Owner - ProjectA
    Author - ProjectX
    Author - ProjectY
    Author - ProjectA
    ... and so on.

I am a bit concerned about having so many groups. What do other do?

Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 2.  RE: User Groups per Instance or Per Project

Posted 18 days ago
    Hello Jason,

Thank you for posting in the Community. While I cannot speak to how others are structuring their User Groups, you can review User Groups in our Help Guide.

I hope you are able to gain insight from other users as well. 

Amanda Jennewein She/Her
    Manager, Customer Support
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: User Groups per Instance or Per Project

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Jason,

our approach is to (try to) limit the number of user groups at organization level: mainly read-only users with a few exceptions.
    At project level we use project templates we duplicate including project user groups for read-only, create&write, project-admin and a few others used for workflow transitions: here we use naming conventions to facilitate the distinction of this not-really-small number of project level user groups. The administration of these groups is delegated to the project admins.

Best,
    Alessandro

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG