Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Sync a read only custom field

• 1.  Sync a read only custom field

Posted 07-22-2021 06:24
    When creating a custom field, I saw the "read only" and "sync" options. Would someone please explain how this work? Can I have the read only field value populated by the value(s) of other fields in the same custom item type?  Thanks,

------------------------------
    Khuemy Nguyen
    Soliel
    Vienna VA

• 2.  RE: Sync a read only custom field

Posted 07-22-2021 09:25
    Hi Khuemy,

When adding custom Fields, there are many options. Regarding the two options you've asked about:
    • The Read only option is to prevent users from editing the field.
    • The Sync option is for when items are synchronized to other items. A change in a field with this checkbox will flag this item as out of sync in the synced items window and in Single Item View.
    Your choices for Custom Field types are further explained HERE.

Choosing Read only may make some custom fields inoperable, especially a pick-list, for example.

However, a populated field may be compatible with Read only, if the user doesn't need to make changes to it.

Can you share an example of the type of Custom Field/Populated Values you are working with?

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Sync a read only custom field

Posted 07-22-2021 12:55
    Hi Decoteau,

I was trying to see if it is possible to manipulate the default Name field and has its value populates from another field.  For example, create a custom text box field (required), then populate Name field with first 50 chars from the custom text box field.  Thanks,

Khuemy Nguyen
    Soliel
    Vienna VA

• 4.  RE: Sync a read only custom field

Posted 07-22-2021 17:31
    There isn't a way to auto-populate text from one field to another like this (the only "auto-populating" are ones like Rollup and Calculated fields.)

However, there are some alternative options that may help you.

Reuse and Syncing: 
    With reuse and synchronization you can duplicate supporting information for any item, container of items, or even a project and continuously keep it in sync. For your needs, you'd need to have a Project or Set of Items that already have their fields filled out. Then you could reuse those items as a type of "library" for duplication. 

Batch Editing: 
    Batch Update - This is a quick way to Batch Edit in the UI. however, you cannot Batch Update Rich Text fields. For that, you'd use Round Trip editing (see below.)

Round Trip Edits - Microsoft Excel- This option allows you to export items to Excel,  make your changes in the spreadsheet, and import them back in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR