Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Inconsistent Export of Test Plan & Test Cases to Word

• 1.  Inconsistent Export of Test Plan & Test Cases to Word

Posted 05-24-2017 10:23
    Hi,
    I have run into an unexpected and inconsistent behavior when exporting Test Plans & Associated Test Cases to Word.
    I create a filter to include a Test Plan and its associated Test Cases. I then select the filter and send for review.

Now, if I select the filter with the Test Plan and its associated Test Cases, and export it to my custom Word template OR the default Export to Word template, the output has the Test Plan text followed by the associated Test Cases. This is what I expect.

However, if I select the baseline for the review and export to my custom Word template OR the default Export to Word template, the output has the Test Cases followed by the Test Plan text. This is not expected. This requires me to go to the document end, select the Test Plan text, cut, and paste it at the beginning of the document to have a consistent and logical output. This could result in errors impacting the document.

This happens across multiple Test Plans and baselines.

Thanks in advance for any information.

------------------------------
    Richard

• 2.  RE: Inconsistent Export of Test Plan & Test Cases to Word

Posted 05-24-2017 14:32
    Hi Richard,
    I am attempting to reproduce this in order to assess if it's a bug or what. Can you share with me the conditions of your filter so I can ensure I'm reproducing the scenario correctly?

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Inconsistent Export of Test Plan & Test Cases to Word

Posted 05-24-2017 15:42
      |   view attached
    Sure, thanks for the fast response.

I attached a screenshot of the filter conditions I use. By way of background, there is a set of Test Cases at the location in the filter that I am associating with the Pertinent Test Plan. When I export this it comes out correctly with the Test Plan material followed by each test case.

At some point, I select the filter and send the filter contents for review. This works correctly also with the Test Plan text followed by the test cases for the review.

When the review is finished, I select the appropriate baseline and export that. That is the one where the test cases are first followed by the test plan material. Other than the incorrect order, the contents are good.

Hope that helps you repeat the scenario.

Richard

• 4.  RE: Inconsistent Export of Test Plan & Test Cases to Word

Posted 05-25-2017 10:58
    Further info:
    I created a test cycle using the Test Plan and attaching the same test cases to the test cycle.
    I then created a filter similar to the other but with Test Cycle and Test Runs.
    Interestingly enough, when I view the filter in List view, the test cycle is listed followed by the test runs in numerical order as expected.
    But when I switch to the Reading view, the items are reversed in order. This also is not expected.
    Export to Word results in the same outcome.

Richard

• 5.  RE: Inconsistent Export of Test Plan & Test Cases to Word

Posted 05-25-2017 12:06
    Thanks for the example and all the context, Richard. I'm trying to determine now if this is a bug or by (unclear) design. It seems to me that no matter what, Baseline view will export items that live outside of the hierarchy at the bottom, no matter where they show up in the view. So that means anything that is not in the Explorer Tree (Plans, Runs) will show up at the bottom if exported from the Baseline tab.

I'll get back to you once I've determined if this is a bug, and I'll let you know if I find a workaround.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 6.  RE: Inconsistent Export of Test Plan & Test Cases to Word

Posted 05-26-2017 13:19

Hi Richard,

We discussed this and determined everything is functioning as designed, although it's not necessarily desirable. The reason is because Baseline View doesn't make use of sequence or global sort order, so when it exports it will order by ID, and everything without an ID will be exported at the bottom. This is the same for reading view-it's basing its export off of tree sort order, and see plans and cycles don't live in the tree, they're too exported at the bottom.

Changing this behavior would be a feature request, if you're so inclined. I tried to find a workaround and the best I can suggest is to export via Velocity. There is a built-in Velocity report, All Item Details, that will export in the order you're viewing something, so it works on the Baseline view. When viewing the items, choose Export > Office Templates > Other Reports > All Item Details. This does have a different look than a Word template, though, so I'm not sure if it's a better option than cutting & pasting.

Kristina King
    Jama Software