Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Modify Sync Options

• 1.  Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-24-2018 10:51

Hello Jama Support Community:

I'm an employee here at Rockwell Collins Inc. I'm writing to inquire about "Sync Options" on Jama, read below to get context of the problem I'm facing.

Let's say I have two System Requirements that are synced across two different projects (say project A and project B). Now, the Description of the two Requirements are identical, however, the Upstream Relationships are expected to always to different. Therefore, having Relationships as one of the fields being compared to determine the Sync Status seems to make the Sync Status useless, as all System Requirements now always show as being Out Of Sync. However, Sync Status is a really powerful feature we would REALLY like to harness, in order for that to be a possibility, what we need done, is exclude Relationships, Attachments, Tags, and Links while determining Sync Status. I'm not a Jama admin, however, I checked with one of the Jama admins at my company and he said that it is not possible, as Relationships are not one of the "User Created Fields" or something along those lines. So, I wanted to reach out to you guys to see if you had any more insight into this.
    Relationships need to be excluded from Sync Status.
    I would really appreciate any help on this - thanks much! :)

------------------------------
    Pavan Chinta
    Rockwell Collins Inc.
    Cedar Rapids IA

• 2.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-24-2018 20:32
    Pavan:

I would take a look at this part of the Jama User Help Guide - Select Reuse Options, it gives all the ways to duplicate and sync items across projects. I am understanding that you do not want the upstream or downstream items or relationships but, you would like to have the main item synced, so that if there is a change to the main item in one project, that this change will be reflected in duplicates of this item in other projects? But, you do not want to include any separate upstream items?

Pavan, take a look at the above link and let me know if you have any further questions. If this sounds like it is what you are looking for, it would be a task for someone who has either Reuse Administrator or Admin Administrator level permissions.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-30-2018 15:54
    Hi Chloe:

No, I do not believe you have correctly understood what it is that I'm trying to achieve, allow me to clarify.

Let's say, we have two items that are in completely in sync (item A and item B) on two different projects, in other words, they have identical content (Name, Description, Summary etc.) and relationships (identical upstream and downstream relationships).

Now, if I viewed the "Sync Status" on either of these items, it would show "In Sync".

Let's now say that I removed an upstream relationship from item A but did not do the same on item B. Now, if I viewed the "Sync Status" on either of the items, it would show "Out of Sync", which is not what we want.

I would like the "Sync Status" setup so that if relationships change on synced items, the "Sync Status" is NOT affected. However, if other fields change, such as "Name" or "Description", the Sync Status does show "Out of Sync". Is that possible?

Please advise if you need further clarification.

Best Regards,
    Pavan Chinta

Pavan Chinta
    Rockwell Collins Inc.
    Cedar Rapids IA

• 4.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-30-2018 16:38
    Pavan:

Thank you for the clarification, you want to sync everything initially but, then somehow turn off the "out of sync" indicator on any Upstream/Downstream relationship specific changes? There are reuse options where you can select the option:

Do not include relationships outside the source selection 

"This selection tells the system to only copy the source item. Any relationships within the source item will not be copied. For example, if the source item has a component that contains Features, Requirements and Test Cases, any relationships between those selected items will be copied when the component is reused. However, if any of the source items have relationships that are to items outside of the source component, such as a relationship between a Requirement in the source component and a Use Case in another component not reused in this action, those relationships will not be copied." 

The above setting sounds like it might take care of part of what you want but not all. I am very interested, could you share your use case for wanting this functionality? How are you currently using the "in Sync/ not in sync" indicators? You mention that you want to exclude "Relationships, Attachments, Tags, and Links" in the sync indicator. Could you speak to what you would like to focus the Sync indicator to alert you to? Perhaps there is another option here.

Looking forward to hearing back,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-30-2018 21:11
    Hi Chloe:

Thanks so much for the input - I really appreciate such a prompt response!

To help understand what I'm really trying to achieve, here's a specific YouTube video: Jama Administration: Configuring Reuse & Sync Options tutorial - you will notice that in the video, even though the user changed "Risk" (1:28), the items were still "In Sync". However, upon changing "Description" (1:40) the items are shown as "Out of Sync".  Then, the user adjusts "Risk" so that it is included as a flag for "Sync Indicator" (2:29). From then on, whenever "Risk" is changed, the items are shown as "Out of Sync".

The above is exactly  what I'm trying to achieve with "Relationship Changes" on synced items. I would like any "Relationship Changes" on synced items to not flag items to go "Out of Sync". Is there an administrative setting similar to that shown in the video that we could adjust so that the "Relationship Changes" are not included as a flag for "Sync Indicator" (i.e. I need "Relationship Changes" to behave like "Risk" in the video at 1:28).

When I hit the "Out of Sync" indication, I show the "Detailed Comparison View", which tells me what flags are causing the "Out of Sync" indication. As you can see in the below picture, "Relationships" are not grayed out while other fields such as "Doors ID" is grayed out. Therefore, the two items are shown "Out of Sync" not because of differences in "Doors ID" but due to differences in "Relationships". I would like for these two items show as "Out of Sync" only if their "Description" changes.

Flags for Sync Indicator

Please advise if you need further clarification on this.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Pavan Chinta
    Rockwell Collins Inc.
    Cedar Rapids IA

• 6.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-31-2018 10:37
    Pavan:

Thanks for linking that video, if you look at 3:50, it shows you how to go into the Admin > Item Types > (go to item) > Edit > Active Widgets > Relationships (click the toggle button: see picture below) > Save settings

This button appears to be exactly what you are looking for, the Relationships are still there but being inSync is not affected by it's status. Good find, let me know if this works for you!

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 7.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-31-2018 10:50
    haha, that's fantastic! I guess I had the answer all along but was just lazy to not have watched the whole video - I appreciate your feedback so very much, Chloe!

I'll let you know how it works out!

Pavan Chinta
    Rockwell Collins Inc.
    Cedar Rapids IA

• 8.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-31-2018 16:23
    Hi Chloe:

I tried to speak with the Jama team here at my organization and got a response that they couldn't move forward with my request to change configuration at the project-level, because for us, the configurations for the item types are set at the organizational level and any changes to the configurations would impact all users/projects.

They also said that they're working with Jama Software to have the configuration for each item type set up at the project level, instead of at the organizational level, but are unsure when that request would be implemented, if ever.

Do you have any further ideas in this case?

I can't stress how important this feature could be for us. Right now, the "Sync Indicator" is completely useless because of the way it is setup, but implementing the changes I adjust could turn this feature around and save us A WHOLE LOT of money!

Thanks so much for all of your help thus far!

Pavan Chinta
    Rockwell Collins Inc.
    Cedar Rapids IA

• 9.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 10-31-2018 16:55
    Pavan:

I have an idea but, I do not know how feasible it is for you. I am thinking that you could make a project-dedicated custom item type which has all the configurations you need but, no one except your project actually utilizes. Admin > Item Types > Add Item Type Here is an example:

You could grandfather this item type in, depends on what your workflow looks like with older information. Or you could possibly do a project wide conversion of the old item type into the newly created one? See here in the User Guide: Convert an item to another item. 

What do you think?

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 10.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 11-01-2018 09:05

Chloe:

I think that is a fantastic idea to do a project wide conversion to a new item type! However, my question is when an item's type is converted from one type to another, are there any repercussions you can think of? Such as losing history? Or, links or any other info loss?

And, if I understand your solution correctly - you are suggesting that we create a new item type and roll it out to the entire company. But, for our projects, we convert the older item type to the newly created item type. And, common sense tells me that history would remain and no other information would be lost, but if you could  confirm that, I think this might be THE BEST solution for us.

Thanks  a tonne!

Pavan Chinta
    Rockwell Collins Inc.
    Cedar Rapids IA

• 11.  RE: Modify Sync Options

Posted 11-01-2018 13:16
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 11-01-2018 13:49
    Pavan:

I am glad you asked these questions, because there are a lot of factors to consider. Here are just a few I have in general:

1. When you convert an item type to another you essentially change the Global ID, so you will lose the version history of that item. When I did a conversion in my instance, the version history was disabled from the action.

2. The project level relationship rules will need to be reconfigured to include the new item type. Example of Relationship Rules Diagram below:

3. Depending on how your project is inter-configured with the other projects in your org, their relationships may need to be relooked at as well. So if any other project relies on information from this item type (from your project in particular) for any upstream or downstream, they will need to make a switch in their diagram too.

Overall, it all depends on how you have your Relationships and data organized and interconnected at both a Project and Organizational level. There realistically may be more things to consider depending on how your instance is configured, so unfortunately I do not have the right vantage point to give you the complete picture here. The solution is doable but, I would highly recommend for your Organizational Admin to tap into some Professional Services hours just to get some real eyes on what this would really look like for your org.

With that said, I am excited that this could be a possible money saving solution for you. What are your thoughts?

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR