Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Verifying about the required access permission for using different actions of the Test plans feature

• 1.  Verifying about the required access permission for using different actions of the Test plans feature

Posted 09-06-2021 03:49

Hi,

I want to verify about the access permission required for using Test plans feature

Nr.

Action

Required Access Permission

Execute Test run

Read Only Access Permission at Project level

Start Test Run as well as Save and Close for a Test run

Read Only Access Permission at Project level

Log a Defect as well as Save and Close for a Defect

Read Only Access Permission at Project level as well as other levels under Project

Test Cycle | Actions | Assign Test Runs

Read & Write Access Permission at Project level

Test Cycle | Actions | Make Test Runs Current

Test Cycle | Actions | Batch Update Test Run Status

Is my list correct?

It is confusing for our team, the expectation was someone having only "Read Only Access Permission" shall not be able to edit any content. It is not the case here for the action (1),(2) and (3).

Was the implementation as intended? But why?

------------------------------
    Lien Bäcker
    Gira, Giersiepen GmbH & Co. KG

• 2.  RE: Verifying about the required access permission for using different actions of the Test plans feature

Posted 09-07-2021 00:34
    Hi,

that's something I'd like to know too.
    I have not found anything in the official documentation about permission required in Test plans.

Florian Giller

• 3.  RE: Verifying about the required access permission for using different actions of the Test plans feature

Posted 09-08-2021 17:07
    Hi all!

There is a diagram that I've found very helpful - Permissions by License Type.

This breaks down most of what you seem to be asking for. From what I can tell, it would seem that the actions you've details would need Read/Write permissions but please let me know if I am missing anything.

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 4.  RE: Verifying about the required access permission for using different actions of the Test plans feature

Posted 09-09-2021 23:15
    HI Decoteau,

thanks for the diagram.
    What Florian and I were focusing on is the Permissions for the Creator License.
    The fact is, there are the differences between the given documentation and what I have in our instance.

In the documentation, it is said - Creator needs Read/Write Permission to Execute Test runs and Log defects( from Test run windows).
    In my test, I see the Creators needs only Read Permission to Execute Test runs and Log defects (from Test run windows).

Lien Bäcker
    Gira, Giersiepen GmbH & Co. KG

• 5.  RE: Verifying about the required access permission for using different actions of the Test plans feature

Posted 09-10-2021 15:55

Hi Lien,

Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I can verify through testing that a user with a Creator license and Read-Only permissions to a Project can Execute Test Runs and Log Defects (from that window.) 

I believe the intent behind that graph was to show how those actions may be more restricted with other non-Creator licenses. However, it could be made more clear that Creator licenses have those additional abilities.

I will file a request to add this note to our User Guide. 

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR