Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Limiting read permissions within a project

• 1.  Limiting read permissions within a project

Posted 10-12-2018 06:30
    I have users who need read access to specific components within a project exclusively. Those components are located on the top level of the explorer hierachy.
    I created a group for those users and added them to that group. I then granted that group read access to the components that they are allowed to see.
    However, it seems that I also have to grant that group read access to the project itself, otherwise Jama won't let the users navigate to the project.
    After that I overrided the read access rights on components the users of that group are not allowed to see.

Now I am afraid that a user from another group with write permission on the project, creates a component and forgets to notify me so I can override read access early on.

I am looking for a way to ensure the users with limited read permissions can only see the components they are supposed to see and that they will never be able to have read access to components that will be created in the future.

------------------------------
    Olaf Pluemecke
    KROHNE

• 2.  RE: Limiting read permissions within a project

Posted 10-17-2018 12:11
    I found a solution.
    • Override write permission for all users on project level (except project manager) so no one but the Admins and the project manager can create components
    • Set permissions on existing components accordingly
    • Whenever a new component is requested, we can set the permissions right after it has been created.

I think this thread can be closed or deleted.

Olaf Pluemecke
    KROHNE Group

• 3.  RE: Limiting read permissions within a project

Posted 10-17-2018 19:37
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 10-18-2018 15:25
    Olaf:

Thank you for your contribution to the Community. I'm sure many others will benefit from your workaround here.

Just for anyone else who is looking, here are some good resources from the Community to learn more about Permissions:

Introduction to Permissions

How to video Permissions

How Permissions work on Folders

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software