Support

Expand all | Collapse all

MS Word import for header "levels" beyond layer 5

• 1.  MS Word import for header "levels" beyond layer 5

Posted 09-09-2021 10:32
    Hello!

We deal with importing specifications from MS Word documents which have many "header levels" (e.g. 3.2.1.2.5.1.1.1, etc.). We have run into the issue discussed here: Importing from Word, # of outline/heading levels that will import | Support (jamasoftware.com)

That forum post eventually leads to another which talks about "SOS-DEF-498" being an issue which hasn't been fixed yet.
    Is there any status updates on being able to import MS Word document "levels" beyond header 5?

------------------------------
    Justin Maneely
    Senior Systems Engineer II
    P: (916) 355-7723 M: (707) 480-3987
    E: justin.maneely@gd-ots.com
    General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems
    950 Iron Point Road, Suite #110, Folsom, California 95630

• 2.  RE: MS Word import for header "levels" beyond layer 5

Posted 09-09-2021 13:45

Hi Justin,

Thank you for reaching out! I checked on the conversations and defect that you linked and found that SOS-DEF-498 was noted as being resolved.

Then I checked our User Guide on imports/headings and found this note, "For Headings to determine hierarchy, you must use the default Word styles like Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3. You can use up to seven levels of hierarchy in Word."

More on that here: Prepare Word Doc for Import: set hierarchy with headings and styles. 

It would appear that should be able to use up to at least seven levels so I am not certain why yours is cutting off at five. 

Could you try again with seven levels and tell me if it still cuts off at five? 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: MS Word import for header "levels" beyond layer 5

Posted 09-09-2021 16:15
      |   view attached

Good afternoon Decoteau,

Looks like this particular instance is hanging up on level "heading 6" MS Word heading style. Attached is the Word document we were using as an experiment to see how deep we could import.

The results are looking like this, with the deepest level just getting everything deeper than it shoved in:

Regardless of if it's level 6 or 7, we often times have specifications that can go as far as "heading 12" deep.

If there were a way to tweak that setting during the Import Wizard or on a per component/set basis, that could be a nice feature.

We will use the work around of creating "sub-documents" to import for levels deeper than "heading 7", as there does not appear to be a maximum number of levels one could create manually.

Seems like the "heading 7" limit is related to importing functionality, and not a limit on the number of levels deep (e.g. we've been able to import an additional 7 layers from the 7th layer, creating 14 nested layers)

Are there any other suggested work-arounds?

Thanks so much,

image001.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0

Justin Maneely

P:  (916) 355-7723   M:  (707) 480-3987

E:  justin.maneely@gd-ots.com

image002.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  image003.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  image004.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  image005.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  

image006.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which such intended recipient(s) may have an obligation to treat as proprietary. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender by reply email and destroy all copies of this e-mail.

Attachment(s)

docx
    import_test.docx   13 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: MS Word import for header "levels" beyond layer 5

Posted 09-13-2021 16:05
    Hi Justin,

Thank you for providing this doc! I tried recreating the issue with your doc and also noticed that it imported 5 layers. Then, I tried these same steps using a new Word doc. In that new doc, I followed the Heading styles outlined in our User Guide:

By following those Heading styles, I was able to import 6 levels (but not 7) so I reached out to our Product team for assistance.

They let me know that, due to scalability, it has been deemed as "by design" that importing, via the Heading style shown above, will allow up to 6 levels. I've submitted a documentation request to have this updated in our User Guide.

Can you try reformatting your document to follow the Heading style noted above and let me know if you're able to import 6 levels?

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 5.  RE: MS Word import for header "levels" beyond layer 5

Posted 09-13-2021 17:32

Good afternoon Decoteau,

Using the suggested formatting, we too are able to import 6 levels (but not 7).

Understood on the "as design" scalability issue. Thank you for requesting to add the clarification to the User Manual.

You can mark this issue as closed on your end of things. We will continue to use our work around, if we have imports needing more than 6 levels.

Thanks again for the help!

image001.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0

Justin Maneely

P:  (916) 355-7723   M:  (707) 480-3987

E:  justin.maneely@gd-ots.com

image002.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  image003.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  image004.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  image005.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0  

image006.jpg@01D7926F.65422DA0

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which such intended recipient(s) may have an obligation to treat as proprietary. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender by reply email and destroy all copies of this e-mail.