Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

• 1.  Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 10-16-2020 13:09
    Edited by Decoteau 10-16-2020 13:23
    Hello,
    Our test runs have a "workflow status" and a "Status" field. The "Workflow Status" has values of "Review Needed", "Accepted" and "Rejected". That status field is what is recorded during execution {Not Run, In Progress, Passed  or Failed)

My questions is regarding the "Workflow Status" , I believe this was an 'out-of-the-box' field and I am curious what it is intended for? Is anybody using this other "workflow status" field?

Thanks
    Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 2.  RE: Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 10-26-2020 07:17
    Anyone using "Workflow status" on test runs? Just curious if there is some value for this field that we missing before we delete.

Thanks
    Jason

Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 3.  RE: Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 09-02-2021 09:52
    Hello,
    Anyone? I am also curious as to why we cannot associate a workflow to a test run. Does anyone Sign test runs?

Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 4.  RE: Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 09-02-2021 10:58

Hi Jason,

There shouldn't be a way to apply a Workflow to a Test Run. The Test Run item is very unique and doesn't behave like other item types.

That being said, I've encountered use cases in which an Org needed to track certain details alongside a Test Run execution. For example, an Org needed their Test Runners to verify if their Test Run execution resulted in a Defect. However, many of the users were forgetting to provide this information. Our solution was to add a custom field titled, "Did you file a defect?", associated it to a Yes/No picklist, and made it a required field.

In your case, you could add some type of required field that prompts users to "sign" or provide additional information. Does that sound like it'd help?

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 5.  RE: Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 09-02-2021 11:03

Decoteau

I am curious as to why there is a default "Workflow Status" if it cannot be associated with workflow? As for us, we need to be able to have a test lead that reviews and signs executed test runs.

Jason

Jason Barton 
    Digital Health Tools and Operations Excellence Manager

*For engineering applications requests or issues,

submit a ticket via the new Engineering Portal

Varian Medical Systems
    3100 Hansen Way, Palo Alto, CA 94304 US 

jason.barton@varian.com

T +1.650.424.6216 | M +1.415.515.6616
    varian.com

Varian Logo

Varian Confidential

• 6.  RE: Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 09-02-2021 11:46

Hi Jason,

Let me make sure we're discussing the same details. I may have misunderstood your inquiry as I was referring to not being able to apply a Workflow to your Test Run here in Admin > Workflow (example)

However, it sounds like you're referring to a Workflow field that's been configured to your Test Run. I haven't come across a Workflow Status field being a default field and double-checked the fields in my own Test Run and didn't see it there.

(Example below shows Test Run Status but not Workflow.)

Is there a chance that an Org Admin added that as a custom field to the Test Run in your instance? 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 7.  RE: Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 09-02-2021 18:03
    Hmmmm. I thought it was a default value in our configuration. Maybe not.

I am curious if there are any plans to not make the "Test Run"  so "unique" as I believe this has come up in the past when inquiring about other issues regarding test runs. As for our use case, we have a business (and possibly regulatory requirement) to sign test runs after completion. We can still do this using a review, but it would be great to be able to use the automated workflows transition introduced in a recent update.

Thanks
    Jason

Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 8.  RE: Test Run 'Workflow Status" vs "Status"

Posted 09-03-2021 18:46

Hi Jason,

From what I understand, it would appear that the field you're seeing is a custom one and not a default configuration. Also, I do not know of any changes planned to change the way Test Run item types behave. However, I hope we can still find a workaround for your current ask. 

Is it possible that you could create a new custom field(s) to gather signature information for completed Test Runs?

Here are two scenarios that I can think of:

A: Create a custom User field titled, "Test Run Completed By" but don't make it "required" just in case the item hasn't been completed.

B: Create two custom fields. First, have a custom field assigned to a simple Yes/No picklist, make it "required" and title it "Test Run Completed?" Then, have a second custom field that is either a user or text box field and title it "Test Run Completed By". This way the user has to reply to the Yes or No question and will hopefully remember to sign their name into the second field.

I know that is not exactly what you were looking for but hope if may work in this use case. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR