Support

Expand all | Collapse all

How to get field order in List View to match Dashboard

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  How to get field order in List View to match Dashboard

Posted 02-22-2017 11:16
    Background:
    I have modified a Filter Widget in a Dashboard to change the visible fields and field order to meet management needs. All Good.

I went into Admin to modify the Item Type's default views to match the Dashboard.
    1. Select the Item Type
    2. Select Configure View
    3. Changed Visible Columns for "Projects List View"

All Good.

I go to the Dashboard Widget, click the Widget title to open all items in List View.

Expected Result:
    I hope to see the fields as configured in Projects List View.

Actual Result: Instead I see the same view that I had previously customized from List View.

Question: How can I quickly reset my personal view to what is configured in the Item Type - Project List View? And is there a way to reset this for all users? The dashboard is for senior managers who will not spend time configuring fields. My goal is to reset for them or give them a quick ("click here") way to restore the view to the default.

------------------------------
    Jonathan Andree
    Fidelity Investments - EZPaaS

• 2.  RE: How to get field order in List View to match Dashboard
    Best Answer

Posted 02-22-2017 14:49
    Hi Jonathan,

Answer to your question: there is not a quick way to reset your personal view to match that of the admin view, nor is there a way to go back to a clean slate for all users. Our perspective (for better or for worse, depending on your use case) is that unless there’s really good reason for it, our view is that individuals should control their own view to suit their needs. For situations that go beyond viewing to actually modifying data in the system (such as relationship rules), that’s when we allow admins control other user’s experience more. So the designed behavior of Jama is for the Projects List View to be displayed to all users *until* they configure their own view. So if one of your managers has not touched their list view configuration, they'll see it as you configured in the Admin panel.

I don't think this is what you wanted to hear, but I hope it makes sense.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: How to get field order in List View to match Dashboard

Posted 02-23-2017 06:25
    I fully agree with the perspective. You should always put the power in the user's hands.

BUT I would also argue the user does not have full power because of this limitation. Beyond the management scenario I provided, I have experienced multiple cases where people want to have the same view - the only option is to manually configure each persons.

I have seen requests for "Saved Views," which would be great, but I understand the concern for simplicity as well. I have a middle ground option for you to consider. If the Personal Field Config dialog had a "restore to default" button it would give more power to the user without being overly complex.

I think this would especially help in cases where fields of an Item Type are modified and people need to "reset" to the default. As our processes evolve we change fields or change what fields are most important. This is usually what triggers people to modify their views.

Jonathan Andree
    Fidelity Investments - EZPaaS

• 4.  RE: How to get field order in List View to match Dashboard

Posted 02-23-2017 13:36
    Jonathan, I hear you and completely agree. I think a restore to default would resolve this problem. I don't think we have immediate plans to update how List View functions, but I know our UX team is working on reading view. Hint, hint: if you haven't done so yet, you should contribute to their research: https://jamasoftware.wufoo.com/forms/z1iabhar0eir4wd/

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: How to get field order in List View to match Dashboard

Posted 06-29-2017 06:35
    Hi Kristina!

a)
    You mentioned that your "UX team" (UX is the acconyme for ..) works on setup possibilities for reading view?
    Do you have a link to what is planed and when this reading view setup possibilities re released?
    (e.g. like it works for review reading view)

b)
    List View: Is there a way to reset a list view after header column sorting to the items definition order without closing the tab?

br,
    Otmar

• 6.  RE: How to get field order in List View to match Dashboard

Posted 06-29-2017 10:58
    Hi @Otmar! Sorry for my lack of clarity. UX=User Experience, so part of our Product team focusing on usability. To answer your questions:
    A) Our Product team did share what is planned in the near-term for various views, but I don't have any screenshots to share, nor can I say precisely what release you'll see changes in; if you're using the Standard channel, you'll probably see something in 8.20.
    B) There isn't a way to reset this, partially due to the bug SOS-DEF-1817, where the List View configuration does not conform to what is established by the Admin in the Item Type View configuration. This will be fixed in a release very soon.

Kristina King
    Jama Software